A New type of NAS Problem

avery155

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have been pulling my hair out for over a month trying to figure this out. So I started getting erros in BI 4 that it could not write to disk. At this time I had been using a WD my cloud NAS for a few years and I figured that the drive may be going bad. I set up a older Synology 214 with 2x wd purple drives. To get it to work again I have to go to my pc, browse to the nas folder open up a folder, then regenerate the database. Then it may work fine for a day or two, or crap out in as little as a few hours. Windows 10 machine. Sole purpose is BI no BI settings were changed that caused this to start happening. It has mostly been a set and forget setup for years.
Still It randomly stops being able to record or tries to record 2 second long files. Below is a list of things I have tried.
I tried moving the database to local c:
changed storage path from \\share\bi\new to \\ip\share\bi\new
nas and pc share username/pass
stopped using BI as a service
Downloaded BI tools
Uninstalled BI and Reinstalled, then imported settings
wiped nas drives clean again and started fresh
unchecked the report free space from nas
double checked that nothing is over allocated. even under allocated by 500mb (2tb drives)

Error 80000043, undefined is what shows up

I feel like I am missing other things I have tried in the last moth or two.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How long has this been happening ?
Did it start after a Windows update (my favorite question lately)?
Is the connection between the NAS and bi PC running through the router. If do connect PC and NAS to the same switch directly.
What about placing a small new folder on the local system then move files to stored on the NAS ?I have not had any luck doing long term continuous writes to a has.
Turn off virus software.
Replace NAS network cable

Last edited:

avery155

n3wb
Reaction score
A few months if you consider old Nas time plus new Nas time.
Windows updates are disabled as far as I know
Everything is on ubiquiti switch same vlan
I can try a local new folder was hesitant since PC uses SSD.
I will also make a new Ethernet cable and see if that helps
Thanks

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would allocate no more than 30% of the remaining SSD space on the C drive to BI new folder, or 25GB which every is smaller. Try to keep the BI files small (less than 1 GB). To Keep files small on each camera in BI on the record tab set the combine and cut time to 1 hour or 2GB.

My guess is that there is a network problem and the network comes and goes and the system is not recovering do to the continuous recording.

If the switch is managed is there any error info on it ?