A standalone outdoor ip camera with features?

kmac

n3wb
Reaction score
Adorama in NYC advertises the Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW 3MP as this:

Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW 3MP Outdoor Day & Night IR Cube Wireless Network Camera with 2.8mm Lens, 2048x1536, 20fps, H.264, MJPEG, PoE

Is this really an outdoor camera? I don't get that impression looking at other websites. I wish it were because I need an outdoor solution with the features that camera has.

Is there an outdoor PoE camera with an SD card that an be monitored remotely with a standalone app that will email or upload imagery of PIR generate events? No NVR, no BI interface.

I will be getting a Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW 3MP for the interior of my vacation cabin but I'm wondering if there actually is an outdoor camera that can do what it does or perhaps just simmer it. If no such device exists then can somebody recommend a quality outdoor PoE camera that can simply be monitored? No SD card, no NVR, no BI but using a standalone app for the iPhone, iPad, Mac OS that doesn't drive you crazy? Even if I miss catching a bad actor at least I can watch the clouds go by and dream of vacation...

Any insights into this niche of the ip cam market will be greatly appreciated.

Thxs,
kmac

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It has no IP66 Rating and the spec sheet lists:
Operating Conditions:-30 °C ~ 60 °C (-22 °F ~ 140 °F)
Humidity 95% or less (non-condensing)

that indicates its not tolerant to liquid water exposure, and should NOT be used outdoors.. at least not exposed to the elements.

calling it an outdoor camera w/out an appropriate IPXX rating is not to be believed.

lots of outdoor cameras with SD Storage and Alarm Inputs that can be wired to a PIR sensor.. most of mine are capable of that, some are even connected to PIR Sensors..

Last edited by a moderator:

bike_rider

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As Nayr said, that is not an outdoor camera. OTOH. I have one in a junction box on the porch. It has no exposure to rain, so it works just fine. For Hikvision, camera models that end in "S" have the stand alone features you are looking for. For example, DS-2CD2622FWD-IZS. That box camera is a exception to that naming scheme.

kmac

n3wb
Reaction score
It has no IP66 Rating and the spec sheet lists:
Operating Conditions:-30 °C ~ 60 °C (-22 °F ~ 140 °F)
Humidity 95% or less (non-condensing)

that indicates its not tolerant to liquid water exposure, and should NOT be used outdoors.. at least not exposed to the elements.

calling it an outdoor camera w/out an appropriate IPXX rating is not to be believed.

lots of outdoor cameras with SD Storage and Alarm Inputs that can be wired to a PIR sensor.. most of mine are capable of that, some are even connected to PIR Sensors..
Thanks nayr for citing chapter and verse on what determines whether a camera can standup to being outdoors. Since I won't be be mounting a DS-2CD2432F-IW 3MP in a junction box like bike_rider has can you or other forum members throw out the names and model #s of some outdoor cameras with SD storage and alarm inputs for a PIR sensor that you think are good value for the money or a website that's particularly informative about each cameras features? I want to place one camera about 9 feet off the ground above a door and two windows. I was thinking a dome camera would be less vandal prone for my location but a bullet cam would be ok.

Since I need to get the cameras up and running before I close up the cabin for winter in the next two weeks its important to me that the standalone app for monitoring be easy to setup and reliable and well integrated with the cameras I end up buying. Who writes the best software for monitoring two or three standalone cameras. I'll only have a MacBook Pro with me to assist in setup. Also, I'm a bit confused about PIR sensors. Are they built into some cameras and can be added to others as separate components?

I'd really appreciate word of mouth buying guidance here from anybody who's willing to offer it as winter is on it's way and I need to
batten down the hatches at the cabin and leave it feeling that I can keep an eye on it.

Thanks in advance,
kmac

PS. Right after I posted this I stumbled across this site:
http://bit.ly/2d7J3m3
The Hiks and the Dahua sound like they might be good choices for me at price points I like...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I dont recommend hik's so you'll have to dig through there catalog to find something suitable for you.. if it has alarm inputs you can hook up any kinda alarm sensor up to it.

indoor cameras often have them built in, because they are small confined areas with wall to wall target coverage.. outdoor ones you supply your own motion sensor so you can independently aim and adjust it according to the conditions.. for example you want a camera to look in the direciton people will naturally be facing when approaching, but for reliable and fast motion deteciton outdoors you want to catch them going sideways across the view.

for a cabin I dunno if you wanted to be alerted to wildlife, which motion sensors will capture.. for a remote place like this perhaps a driveway sensor is all thats really needed.. look at whats out there, if you have a patio with a singular approach a trip wire sensor like garage doors have works very well.

my hardware is in my sig, check em out.. Dont put domes outside, vandal proof is not nessicary and the dome just fucks up the image.. dont put wide angle cameras outside either, go check out http://ipvm.com/calculator