A 'Tip of the Hat'

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
and big thank you for the posts and guide to take advantage of the sub-stream that BI now supports. I never though much of it as my cpu utilization was around 15% and I have 64gb of memory in my computer (BI was using about 9gb). That was until yesterday. I have 8 4k cameras and 3 2k and I was already using direct to disk recording.

Yesterday I decided to lower my cpu clock. I have been overclocking to 3.95GHz so I brought it back down to the rated 3.5GHz primarily to reduce the fan cycling. My temps even at 'idle' with BI running were 60-65C. When I did any Photoshop or video editing work it would move to the low 70's and the fans would ramp up. They weren't at jet engine level but the pc is right on my desk :(

So after dropping the clock speed idle temps slid to the mid 40's but I noticed my BI utilization went up to 20-21%. . . This morning I set the cameras and BI up to take advantage of the sub-stream. Now my cpu utilization is between 3-5% and my ram usage has dropped from 9gb to 717mb :)

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
It is an awesome feature. I tried it out and it made an incredible difference but my wife uses UI3 to access the clips and live feed and she was having a lot of trouble so I eventually went back to my previous version and all is ok now for her. So, there are still some kinks to be worked out but I'm sure Ken will get it working smoothly. I'm looking forward to moving back to the sub-streams features when things are more stable because the cpu utilization savings are incredible and I don't even have any 4k cameras.

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can you please link here that guide and eventually those posts if aren't too many?
Thanks.
This is the one that is pretty self explanatory: Sub Stream Guide

if you google blue iris substream there are others including a reddit link

It is really easy - even a dummy like me could do it. Some of my cameras didn't have the info in the fields so I just copied similar camera info into them. Everything worked :)