A Zillion Clips!!! Make it stop!!

Kenjusticejr

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ok.. have tried everything.

Have clips set to move to storage after a few days, or 500gb. Have clips set to be deleted from storage after it hits 7 days, or 1200gb... Now, all of the sudden, something went haywire and it's making new clips every few minutes. Under status, I'm getting "clip out of memory" errors and I believe it is directly related to BI making so many clips. In each camera, I have it set to make a very large clip size, 24 hours, or 240 hours, or 50gb or 100gb size clips. I think I messed something up royally. I deleted all old clips from storage, and changed the settings for clips to go to storage, and thought I had it fixed. Unfortunately, it started doing it again. I'm sure one of you more experienced BI users knows exactly what my problem is, and if you could please instruct me on how to pull my head out and fix the settings, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Ken J

Kenjusticejr

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I had it set to 7 days and 30 days for moving to storage and deleting, but changed it along with the folder size, and thought I had it fixed...otherwise, no good... something is still not right... restarted computer hoping that would fix it, but no luck.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That looks fine. What about the camera record tab.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That looks fine too (Except I would have add pre-trigger frames, though that has nothing to do with your issue). Have you tried the standard, rebooting of the machine and BI?

Kenjusticejr

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
That looks fine too (Except I would have add pre-trigger frames, though that has nothing to do with your issue). Have you tried the standard, rebooting of the machine and BI?
Yes, that was my first instinct. rebooted, fired up, gave it a day, and it was doing the same thing.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Also i notice that there is no profile selected in the top right...that's strange. What profile is active when this is happening? check that combine and cut time for the particular profile.

Kenjusticejr

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
If you'll notice, there are clips that are 9 seconds, mixed in. a few would be fine, but when I have 8 (only 7 shown) cams making clips that are only seconds long, it makes it VERY difficult to review the footage from any given day or timeframe. It's on my home system (knock on wood, my work system is doing fine so far) and I don't interact with it much.

Kenjusticejr

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Also i notice that there is no profile selected in the top right...that's strange. What profile is active when this is happening? check that combine and cut time for the particular profile.

I've never used a profile, always had it set to default. (I selected #1 profile, since all cams are set to profile 1) on my work system here (the comp I'm sitting at) and quickly realized I've never made use of any profile settings. but when I set up a cam, it's default is profile 1, and it just seems to work. I'll double check the cams on the home system and make sure everything mirrors the system here at my business. otherwise, "default" or "1 by default" is what they are all set at.

Kenjusticejr

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
as an added note, I have over 1 TB of free space on my drive. and the "New" and "Storage" folders have plenty of wiggle room in them based on the limits I set... it's really making me wonder what is causing the issue. worried about faulty RAM or a bad Hard Drive.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Which format are you using? AVI, BVR? AVI has a 1GB limit, that might be causing it. It doesn't take long to get 1GB with BI.

Kenjusticejr

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
definitely not AVI...I have clips that are (sometimes) 50gb. They are bvr.

Kenjusticejr

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I've remoted in again and had a look...I noticed the cpu was maxed for a short period of time, and it seemed to be the same time that the software was creating short clips... it's like it makes a new clip for no reason, but maybe the system is being over taxed and causing it to mess up... going to drop frame rates back and see if it fixes it... running 8 cameras at 25-30fps...will drop them all down to 20fps and see what that does....

I noticed when I logged in and it maxed the cpu, the status page showed the "clip out of memory" error again.. so, hopefully, adjusting all frame rates down and restarting the service is the tweak I needed....

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have mine set to 5fps for live view and 10fps for recording. Works well to keep CPU down and to provide a usable video.