AARP...worth membership?

Reaction score
I'm officially old now that I recieved a "join us" AARP invitation. I have never known anyone who was a member. Yet, that name keeps popping up like Medicare or NRA.
If anyone has a AARP $12 a year membership....worth it? The little pamphlet talks about savings here & there (eyeglasses, prescriptions, groceries)... and...ooo...access to health/vision/dental health insurance?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree with above right up to when it comes time to sign up for Medicare and their Part B which is invaluable when you need it.
(Assuming their part B is same as it was and with UHC)

Reaction score
There is a reason why I do not participate in the religious or political discussions here on IPCT.
I am not asking if AARP or any other institution leans left or right. I am asking about their services & memebership benefits.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I have to agree with BRF. We've saved a fair amount by using their insurance. As far as anything else they offer, it's a waste to me and the politics are so far left they need a cane in their left hand to keep from falling over. Personally, I see nothing wrong with taking advantage of them to save me some bucks I can use for things I support.

Reaction score
I asked here on IPCT because I know some folks here and value their opinions since they get cameras & Blue Iris right :)
Doing a general Google search is listening to totally random opinions.
But a quickie search did come back saying AARP has changed in the last couple years. Donating to right wing and left wing folks (to where it pisses off the other side), lots of junk mail, great discounts if you travel frequently, great when it comes time for Medicare...but that's about it. Since not on Medicare anytime soon and I do not travel....I think I'll pass.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Keep it in mind for when you need it though, unless they go down the tubes like most things seem to do by that time.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm officially old now that I recieved a "join us" AARP invitation. I have never known anyone who was a member. Yet, that name keeps popping up like Medicare or NRA.
If anyone has a AARP $12 a year membership....worth it? The little pamphlet talks about savings here & there (eyeglasses, prescriptions, groceries)... and...ooo...access to health/vision/dental health insurance?
I recall a family member determining that the benefits of AARP for someone freshly eligible were not worth the annual cost. Their assessment, at that point, determined it would not be 'useful' until 60-ish. </2 cents>

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The discounts are lame. They use your membership fees to support certain political viewpoints. If you are okay with it go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I am not asking if AARP or any other institution leans left or right.
I sincerely apologize if I annoyed you with the lefty comment. Where I'm coming from is that the political left is warring against the population and part of that is infiltrating organizations and if you happen to not support their agenda it's important to not inadvertently strengthen the enemy. Someone who supports the political agenda would be happy to support the organization. I wish that all organizations that don't have a political product would just stay out of politics and keep their mouths shut about it. It's getting harder and harder to find any of them.

As to benefits, there are other alternatives. For instance, our medigap insurance is through the Good Sam Club (camping and RVs) and was the best deal I could find at the time we signed up. It does have price increases every year. I can't do any heads-to-heads comparisons any more because we're on the "F" plan that's no longer offered.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Being a pragmatist, especially when it comes to money, we looked around ourselves and had an "expert" look as well. Both us and the "expert", actually a family member who happens to be a financial planner and consults about insurance of all types, came up with the same answer. It is specific to your needs and in our case offered better coverage and lower rates given our medical requirements. If we can find something with equal or better coverage at the same price or less that meets our needs we'd drop AATWFD in a heart beat. It all comes down to your own situation and needs in terms of savings.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yep, when you turn 50, you start getting their mails constantly :). I've had some friends join due to some of the benefits, even if they don't agree with their lobbying efforts. Everyone needs to decide for themselves.

Also heard there is another organization, I think it's called AMAC or something, not sure if they have equivalent benefits.

Last edited:
Reaction score
can I be in NRA & AARP at the same time? :)
Well since AARP fully supports disarming the public and gives contributions to those that think that way, and the NRA is totally against those viewpoints, I guess joining both is like having coffee and Bourbon for that wonderful feeling of not having done any drugs at all. They cancel each other out.

Reaction score
I sincerely apologize if I annoyed you with the lefty comment. Where I'm coming from is that the political left is warring against the population and part of that is infiltrating organizations and if you happen to not support their agenda it's important to not inadvertently strengthen the enemy. Someone who supports the political agenda would be happy to support the organization. I wish that all organizations that don't have a political product would just stay out of politics and keep their mouths shut about it. It's getting harder and harder to find any of them.

As to benefits, there are other alternatives. For instance, our medigap insurance is through the Good Sam Club (camping and RVs) and was the best deal I could find at the time we signed up. It does have price increases every year. I can't do any heads-to-heads comparisons any more because we're on the "F" plan that's no longer offered.
oh...you didn't annoy me at all and appreciate your opinion along with others (I may agree...I may not agree). I just make it a thang not to get caught up with the BIG 3 controversial topics across the world. I got more important things to worry about...such as tire slashing and making a workbench :)

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Agree with above right up to when it comes time to sign up for Medicare and their Part B which is invaluable when you need it.
My wife worked with two consultants and found better deals than what AARP offers, so...

oh...you didn't annoy me at all ...
Since he didn't annoy you, perhaps I won't, either :)

To each their own, but, for me: AARP is exceedingly left-leaning and supports anti-gun efforts. As such I refuse to be a member--regardless of what benefits they may offer. Being as my wife found better deals for Medicare Part B than what AARP offers, it was that much easier to continue shunning them upon my retirement.