Able to view all live cameras/groups on Roku!

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Updated 9-27-17

I have now been using the Roku app on my TCL TVs for the last couple of months with zero questionable (or remote) logins. Unlike @DLONG, who has been seeing repeated local logins originating from the Roku app, I have seen only a single login when I make the connection from a given Roku TV to the server. I cannot explain this difference, but with it configured as follows, I feel comfortable enough to continue using the app (and even recommend it if others have the same experience I do).

Set each Roku device (or TV) to a static IP address on the local network. I have mine set to .80, thru .85. I use the static DHCP feature of my router (tomato) to make sure that each TV is assigned the same IP every time (though you can manually apply a static IP at the device).

In Blue Iris, go to golbal settings, webserver, and click on the 'advanced' button at the bottom.

In the first box, enter the IP address(es) of the devices which should have unchallenged access to the BI server as admin. Place a carrot symbol (^) in front of each IP address:

upload_2017-9-26_7-58-38.png

Now, when any device with an IP starting with ^ attempts to access the BI webserver, it will have immediate access as admin - it will not be prompted for credentials.

Note: This is also the place where you would add black listed IPs (place a minus (-) sign ahead of IP). It's also the place where automatically blacklisted IP are added after too many failed attempts (if you have that feature turned on).

Now, on the Roku app, add the camera (or group) as follows (for some reason my Moto would NOT focus on my TV):

upload_2017-9-26_8-3-33.png

As you can see, the Login and Password field are completely blank - meaning this TV, and therefore the Roku app do not have any credentials (to reveal to anyone else) - nor will the credentials be sent over the LAN for any type of packet-sniffing malware to intercept and relay it.

The IP address if the BI server is the address PLUS port (if you're using something other than 80 on the LAN).

Notice that the MJPEG and JPEG links are "/mjpg/CAMERA_SHORT_NAME?" and "/image/CAMERA_SHORT_NAME?", respectively. While you can use your Roku remote to add these, I did it through a web browser (go to RokupIPAddress:12345 while on the "easy add" screen on the Roku. MUCH easier. Just hit back after submitting each camera, and then it's just a matter of making the minor changes between the different cameras/groups.

Ultimately, you end up with this:

upload_2017-9-26_8-9-12.png

I wish I knew what is causing @DLONG's excessive logins from his Roku app. Fortunately, I am not seeing that. Fingers crossed ;)

ETA: I DO see a login from the Roku to the BI server once per second WHILE THE TV IS DISPLAYING CAMERAS. But since it coincides with my active viewing (or when the screen saver is on) and does not appear to affect CPU or create other performance issues, I do not see this as an issue. The IP matches the Roku.

10 9/26/2017 8:00:53 AM admin 192.168.0.85: Login
10 9/26/2017 8:00:54 AM admin 192.168.0.85: Login
10 9/26/2017 8:00:56 AM admin 192.168.0.85: Login
10 9/26/2017 8:00:57 AM admin 192.168.0.85: Login
10 9/26/2017 8:00:58 AM admin 192.168.0.85: Login
10 9/26/2017 8:00:58 AM admin 192.168.0.85: Login
10 9/26/2017 8:00:59 AM admin 192.168.0.85: Login
10 9/26/2017 8:01:00 AM admin 192.168.0.85: Login
10 9/26/2017 8:01:02 AM admin 192.168.0.85: Login
10 9/26/2017 8:01:03 AM admin 192.168.0.85: Login​
-----------------
UPDATED 6-20-17

Thanks to @DLONG for pointing this out - but apparently there is a significant security vulnerability when using this channel. Whether it is the developer or an exploit in his app, somehow, someway, when using it, hackers are able to access the BI server using the credentials entered on the Roku device. I have found several IP addressed from Turkey and China connected and logged in using the account credentials I used for the Roku.

If you are going to use this, make sure you provide a unique set of credentials, and make that user access limited to only those cameras which could be compromised without privacy concerns.

-----------------
I don't know if this has been discussed before (couldn't find any hits on Roku and Blue Iris using search) - but just started playing around with some of the 'channels' in Roku to see if any supported BI.

This one
works like a DREAM.

The key is getting the correct mjpg path from the BI webserver. Once you have that, you can turn any Roku TV into a live monitor.

There are two fields for each 'camera' you configure that require the path:

MJPEG: /mjpg/[camera or group name]?
JPEG: /image/[camera or group name]?

The first is used for the full screen display. The latter is used for the thumbnail in the preview window as you scroll through the cameras you've set up (though the thumbnails do update about 1 hz).

What's cool is you can set the Roku to use the channel as a screen saver, so whenever it times out, it'll pull up a live, full-screen, dynamic feed from any single camera (or index/group).

There's a free (bascic) version of the channel, which is limited to a single camera. The full app is only $5 and well worth it, IMHO.

Also, there's an 'easy setup' option which turns on a small webserver on your Roku. That allows you to use a browser (on your mobile phone or PC) and go to the IP address of the Roku (port 12345) to add cameras. It's a WHOLE lot easier than trying to use the remote.

Unfortunately, while the payment for the channel does enable it on all of your linked Roku devices, the camera configurations do NOT link. So you have to set up each Roku.

This is a great way to set up remote monitors using TV's with roku sticks...

Last edited:

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nice! Thanks for sharing. Does this work with any Roku?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I would think so. But, I have only the 3600 (2016 stick) and TCL Roku TVs - both are running the latest 7.0 software.

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Nice! I got it to work for my BI install after I put all the cameras in a group called allcameras I used just the URL

http://192.168.1.XX:81/mjpg/allcameras/video.mjpeg?

It loads up all 6 cameras in a 3 over 3 array. Pick stretch to fit and it looks pretty good on a 16x9 tv.

Might wait to see if I should buy the Pro version. This method lets me put multiple cameras in the free version and if the TV is large enough the images are usable for quick monitoring.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
That's an interesting syntax. I assume you have a group called 'allcameras'? I just tried the string you provided, replacing 'allcameras' with specific group names and it pulled up the same way - with or without the video.mjpeg? suffix.

FWIW, "index" is the same as all cameras without having a group specifically created for every camera. Try http://192.168.1.xx:81/mjpg/index? It should give you the same results.

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's an interesting syntax. I assume you have a group called 'allcameras'? I just tried the string you provided, replacing 'allcameras' with specific group names and it pulled up the same way - with or without the video.mjpeg? suffix.

FWIW, "index" is the same as all cameras without having a group specifically created for every camera. Try http://192.168.1.xx:81/mjpg/index? It should give you the same results.
Haha...that is much easier and works the same. Now using:

http://192.168.1.XX:81/mjpg/index/video.mjpeg?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
You can ditch the /video.mjpeg? as well. just ip:port/mjpg/index?

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You can ditch the /video.mjpeg? as well. just ip:port/mjpg/index?
Yep! That worked too. Great and thanks for the help. Do you have any relationship to the developer? Give them a thumbs up if you do!

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Funny, I just was going to post this. I found this app and paid for the pro version a few days ago. Only thing I don't like is you can only multiview 4 cameras at once.

Took me forever to figure out my correct IP web address to view for each brand camera

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Funny, I just was going to post this. I found this app and paid for the pro version a few days ago. Only thing I don't like is you can only multiview 4 cameras at once.

Took me forever to figure out my correct IP web address to view for each brand camera
You can multiview as many or as few as you want. Just make a group and point at that URL.

1. Create group called "multiview"
2. Assign desired cameras you want to see at once to this new group
3. Enter the URL to this group into the app as a single camera
4. Select this camera and you should see a screen with all camera assigned to the "multiview" group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok I assigned all my camera into a group..

2 questions..
How do you find that group url?

Second thing not related to this.. I have 2 cameras that for the life of me I cannot find out the img video path url. I've had to search forever to find the working img url for the other 2 brand of cameras to work in the viewer app but finally got it.

Is there an easy method to find the right url?

I see "Blue Iris" as an option when adding cameras in the viewer app but couldn't get it to work properly

greg_mitch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok I assigned all my camera into a group..

2 questions..
How do you find that group url?

Second thing not related to this.. I have 2 cameras that for the life of me I cannot find out the img video path url. I've had to search forever to find the working img url for the other 2 brand of cameras to work in the viewer app but finally got it.

Is there an easy method to find the right url?

I see "Blue Iris" as an option when adding cameras in the viewer app but couldn't get it to work properly
The URL should match what I list above.

Http://192.168.xxx.xxx
Port= 81
/mjpg/groupname/video.mjpeg?

If you want all cameras just enter:
/mjpg/index?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok so I tried a few different setting and could not get anything to display.

I have all my cameras in a group named "All"
The IP address we use is the address given for the Blue Iris computer right? So my "LAN Web Server address"
My username/pass is a account setup in Blue Iris

Rest is like in picture. I keep getting a cloud with a slash through it :/

Attachments

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All these are working on my internet browser just not in the app for some reason