About i-frames...

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What is the going wisdom around here for setting i-frame interval?

As I understand i-frame is a full image aka full update and more frequently takes up more bandwidth.

Are most of you setting i-frame at 2x the FPS (or higher?) or matching FPS or something different?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Twice the FPS. Anything lower for me and I get this weird "pulsing" of video on my screen.

The Dahua cams seem to automatically fill in the I-frame interval to twice the FPS once you set your desired FPS.

hotbrass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My Cameras have key frame and no matter what the Frame rate I only get a choice of key frame 1 thru 12. So how do I set my key frame for 15fps?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Just a guess, but probably OEM by Reolink or some other manufacturer. I'll bet if you set the frame, bit rate and iframe rates, then look at the cameras in BI on the cameras tab of the management page, graph icon of the upper left, you'll find you're not getting either the frame, bit rate or iframe rate you configured in the cameras. No way around the firmware to fix that, it's controlled, solely, by the camera.

hotbrass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just a guess, but probably OEM by Reolink or some other manufacturer. I'll bet if you set the frame, bit rate and iframe rates, then look at the cameras in BI on the cameras tab of the management page, graph icon of the upper left, you'll find you're not getting either the frame, bit rate or iframe rate you configured in the cameras. No way around the firmware to fix that, it's controlled, solely, by the camera.
That is quite possibly true. Most settings dont seem to do anything. I have it set at 30 FPS and Key frame at 1 and I only get about 6-12 FPS at BI. The default setting is FPS 20 key frame 2. And I am speaking of full resolution.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd say definitely in the Reolink family of cameras. That is one of their big downfalls, IMHO, when compared to other cameras along with the mis-leading low light performance and relatively small sensors.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'd say definitely in the Reolink family of cameras. That is one of their big downfalls, IMHO, when compared to other cameras along with the mis-leading low light performance and relatively small sensors.
Tbh this isn't true for all.

I installed 4 cam NVR system for a friend. 4x 4K cams (B800)

Their daytime performance is far superior to my dahua 2431 and even 5442

Night time is actually very good too. You can ID at a pretty good distance for 2.8mm (or similar) although it is black and white.

Keep in mind the bullet B800 is a 1/2.5" sensor compared to 1/2.7" on the Turret version D800

Not gonna lie, I am very impressed by those B800 and if I knew they performed as well as they do, I might not have built a custom system. Kinda jelly at how his system blows mine out of the water in terms of sheer resolution (minus night color) at 1/3 the cost.

hotbrass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
All the Fuluva cameras I have use have superb low light performance. It is incredible and I was going to buy more but they are no longer available from what I can see.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You have something misconfigured if a Reolink system is "blowing a 5442 out of the water".
I said in daytime. I have nothing misconfigured. It's set to full res 20FPS same i-frame bitrate 8192. B800 just has a lot more pixels. 5442 can't magically increase its resolution to 4K

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Tbh this isn't true for all.

I installed 4 cam NVR system for a friend. 4x 4K cams (B800)

Their daytime performance is far superior to my dahua 2431 and even 5442

Night time is actually very good too. You can ID at a pretty good distance for 2.8mm (or similar) although it is black and white.

Keep in mind the bullet B800 is a 1/2.5" sensor compared to 1/2.7" on the Turret version D800

Not gonna lie, I am very impressed by those B800 and if I knew they performed as well as they do, I might not have built a custom system. Kinda jelly at how his system blows mine out of the water in terms of sheer resolution (minus night color) at 1/3 the cost.
This is false. The nightime image is TERRIBLE on the reolinks. What they do to make it seem better is artificially increase the exposure to 1/12. Of course an 8mp will look better in the day than a 4mp camera. If you think a reolink system blows yours away then you dont know what you are doing and are clueless. Perhaps you should sell your investment and move to reolink. Reolink also spams forums and amazon with fake reviews. You have suffer from the typical amateur - "i need the highest res camera" problem. Then when your image is shit at night you realize your mistake. Resolution is not the be all and end all.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is false. The nightime image is TERRIBLE on the reolinks. What they do to make it seem better is artificially increase the exposure to 1/12. Of course an 8mp will look better in the day than a 4mp camera. If you think a reolink system blows yours away then you dont know what you are doing and are clueless. Perhaps you should sell your investment and move to reolink. Reolink also spams forums and amazon with fake reviews. You have suffer from the typical amateur - "i need the highest res camera" problem. Then when your image is shit at night you realize your mistake. Resolution is not the be all and end all.
Chill. I literally said daytime and said it's black and white at night. Obviously Starlight cams far better at night. I will likely be getting a 8MP 2831 or something and relocate my 5442 because I want higher daytime resolution of 4k for my high up birds eye overview cam. 4MP just isn't cutting it there.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Chill. I literally said daytime and said it's black and white at night. Obviously Starlight cams far better at night. I will likely be getting a 8MP 2831 or something and relocate my 5442 because I want higher daytime resolution of 4k for my high up birds eye overview cam. 4MP just isn't cutting it there.
And you bitched about not having as great a system as your friends. Reolink is shit. Anyone who buys reolink is a fool and a sucker. I could tell from your first few posts that you are an indecisive whiner. Why stop at 8mp I think you should look at some 12mp cams.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
And you bitched about not having as great a system as your friends. Reolink is shit. Anyone who buys reolink is a fool and a sucker. I could tell from your first few posts that you are an indecisive whiner. Why stop at 8mp I think you should look at some 12mp cams.
We get it. You hate reolink lol
I'm not bitching though man you gotta stop getting offended/defensive or whatever. His system performs very well for the price and not everyone has the technical know-how or the budget for a DIY solution. I installed it for him and we are both very impressed with the results.

Besides I was only talking about daytime performance / high resolution where those B800 cams are actually rather amazing for the price. They have even been reverse engineered to allow adding em to BI (not that it matters for me and friend since he will never go custom and milestone working well for me)

I'm no way saying I'm scrapping my setup lol. I am VERY happy with night time color performance. Even the 2431 does amazing with my porch lights. The Reolink IS SHIT as you put it (in comparison to these starlights for nighttime). I'm just saying I want a 4K for my high up overview cam (5442) because it looses details very quickly at a distance during the day. That's something those Reolink B800s really excel at due to higher resolution and I'm sure a dahua/hik 4K would perform even better.

Debating which to get though. Budget friendly 2831 or bit pricier hik 2835 with it's bigger 1/2" sensor. There's also the new 3841 but rather pricey for a 1/2.8". Still researching.

12MP would be nice for my birds eye view cam if you can suggest a cost effective bang for the buck one xD. I'm guessing it doesn't exist though.