Access Point Behind the NVR using it's POE Switch

Ray Chase

n3wb
Reaction score
RE: Need to have a access point connected to the NVR poe port and for it to have internet access.

I have a HIkvision 16 port NVR with POE with 10 cameras connected to 192.168.254.1 subnet with the NIC on 192.168.0.1 I want to use one of the POE port of the NVR to drive a Access Point and for it to be able to access the internet not just the internal network of the NVR cameras.

Would this be possible? If so whats the best way.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
I am just wondering why you want to do it this way? If you would be able to "route" the internal-poe-network to the internet, all your camera's can go to the internet too. That would bybass lots of security.

What is the reason you want this setup? To "abuse" POE capability to power that access point?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
all your camera's can go to the internet too. That would bybass lots of security.
And the NVR too.
Big risk.
I don't understand why you'd need to do this either.

But what's the connection between a WiFi access point and the internet?
Where would the internet connection be?

Are you aware that on a (unspecified - assuming Hikvision) 16 channel NVR with 16 PoE ports you can configure one of the channels, in Manual mode as opposed to Plug&Play, to connect to the LAN.
From which any form of secured connectivity would be possible.

Ray Chase

n3wb
Reaction score
I am just wondering why you want to do it this way? If you would be able to "route" the internal-poe-network to the internet, all your camera's can go to the internet too. That would bybass lots of security.

What is the reason you want this setup? To "abuse" POE capability to power that access point?
I'll explain further of why - I need to put a access point outside and I only have one Ethernet cable run. So with that one Ethernet I will run an access point and a camera. The access point works with POE and has a jack to also output POE to another device.
EAP225-Wall | Omada AC1200 Wireless MU-MIMO Wall-Plate Access Point | TP-Link Canada

OR

I can use a combiner and spliter on either end (look at picture) but instead of another camera run a access point
Combiner Splitter - 777710d1-021a-4f86-81b6-fb6b8034f139.png

"AlStairStevenson" - Can you elaborate on the last point that you made.

Thanks for the swift response.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
On a Hikvision PoE NVR with the same number of PoE ports as channels - you can reallocate a channel to connect to the LAN instead of the PoE port, if your topology needs that.
So for example you could have 15 cameras on the PoE ports and one on the LAN, leaving one port unconnected with 16 connections total.

And it sounds like 'internet access' isn't a consideration.

Ray Chase

n3wb
Reaction score
Actually I solved my own problem. Using the same method as the above picture, Combiner / Splitter. See below diagram

POENVR SWTICH - 12b05861-1166-4210-a929-ad97828446b8.png

I guess I just needed to talk about it aloud :)

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting setup you have in mind. So even if that POE could be split off (and I'm guessing that when the IP Cam turns on its IR you loose your access point anyhow), how are you going to configure "internet access" on that accesspoint?

In my humble opinion, having one wire to that particular spot is the issue. Shifting that issue to providing "internet access" through the NVR, is to me creating a much larger issue. So either reconsider following another utp conduit, pulling an additional wire, or even reconsider using ethernet-over-powerline, that may be even a better option.

-edit: as per your recent addition: make sure your camera cannot "dial home" through your ISP switch. In normal circumstances, POE cams are "hidden" and "blocked" by the NVR.
-edit2: it may even be worse, that you now fully "extended" your home network to that "poe lan". I wouldn't do that, but I'm known to be security paranoia anyhow :p

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting setup you have in mind. So even if that POE could be split off (and I'm guessing that when the IP Cam turns on its IR you loose your access point anyhow), how are you going to configure "internet access" on that accesspoint?

In my humble opinion, having one wire to that particular spot is the issue. Shifting that issue to providing "internet access" through the NVR, is to me creating a much larger issue. So either reconsider following another utp conduit, pulling an additional wire, or even reconsider using ethernet-over-powerline, that may be even a better option.

-edit: as per your recent addition: make sure your camera cannot "dial home" through your ISP switch. In normal circumstances, POE cams are "hidden" and "blocked" by the NVR.
-edit2: it may even be worse, that you now fully "extended" your home network to that "poe lan". I wouldn't do that, but I'm known to be security paranoia anyhow :p
I'm thinking he is OK, the splitter is isolating the two separate runs acting like two cables if I'm seeing it correct. Not Ideal but it works.
EDIT 1. haha here we go, If my theory is correct, the camera is isolated from the AP and in fact still using the subnet of the NVR with the rest of the POE cams. The AP is pulling Internet through the other POE switch and hopefully he has some type of router between that switch and the ISP, if that is what he is actually doing, a little bit different than the OP Title would lead you to believe.

Last edited: