Accessible Hikvision LPR / ANPR

jrecasens

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for an accessible ANPR Hikvision camera. I purchased a iDS-2CD7A26G0/P-IZHS which is working great. But I don’t need all the extra functionality. I am looking for a cheaper Hikvision camera that can do:
  • Detection of license plate and image of vehicle (and access via ISAPI to send alarms).
  • Support vehicle attribute detection, including vehicle type, color, brand, etc.
Does anyone know of more accessible Hikvision cameras with the “Automatic Number Plate Recognition Technology”?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not quite what you are looking for, but a different option that exists that many of us do:

Many of us use the Dahua 5241E-Z12E to capture the plates and run the video through OpenALPR as many have found that to be superior than onboard camera ANPR for USA plates.

OpenALPR is $5/month in a residential setting.

And then a member here created this application to provide a better storage and retrieval of the plate data than what is available in an ANPR camera, and has the ability to send push notifications or emails/texts based on plates that you identify as wanting to know came past. And then if you want to add $16/month, you can then also get VIN information on every vehicle to give a clearer make/model than an ANPR camera can do:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

jrecasens

n3wb
Reaction score
Not quite what you are looking for, but a different option that exists that many of us do:

Many of us use the Dahua 5241E-Z12E to capture the plates and run the video through OpenALPR as many have found that to be superior than onboard camera ANPR for USA plates.

OpenALPR is $5/month in a residential setting.

And then a member here created this application to provide a better storage and retrieval of the plate data than what is available in an ANPR camera, and has the ability to send push notifications or emails/texts based on plates that you identify as wanting to know came past. And then if you want to add $16/month, you can then also get VIN information on every vehicle to give a clearer make/model than an ANPR camera can do:

thank you for the proposed solution!
this sounds like a great alternative over edge anpr devices.

I need a cloud alternative for data processing and vehicle/movement attributes. Whic means I would need an “Axis Commercial” plan, and thats $79 a month. If its only 1 camera, I could recover investment in 4 months with an edge Hikvision Camera. Going after a plan may not be the best solution.

However, maybe OpenALPR would make sense if I am scaling the solution for multiple cameras and locations. Because the plan says “unlimited” detections. I will check this assumption with them.

Also, theres the matter of internet speed, do I need to send an MP4 over the cloud? or its just an image?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is this for residential or commercial setting?

The Axis Commercial is only if you have Axis cameras...

Otherwise it is $49/month for commercial. And $5/month for residential.

And yes, from a cost standpoint, you can at some point be cheaper to bite the bullet and purchase a camera that does ALPR, but many have found that the system isn't as accurate or robust as OpenALPR.

OpenALPR uses a video stream, but Plate Recognizer has a video stream and an image option as well.

jrecasens

n3wb
Reaction score
It would be commercial.
For that plan it says the “agent install location” and “data processing location” is “local”. Does it mean I need to take care of hardware for hosting and detection?

The hikvision I tested was 2nd generation, released last year, model “iDS”.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, you would install it locally on a computer to keep bandwidth down. It simply needs access to the internet at that point to periodically confirm a valid license.