Accidently factory reset my "DHI-NVR408-8P-4KS2" via configtool and now unable to log in...

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
After factory reset, I tried to enter the NVR page using the Configtool and entered: username: admin pass: the original pass I set it with. It says incorrect. Tried entering 123456 as password nothing works and have tried making both password and username as 888888 and still unable to enter... 2 days ago, I tried contacting @EMPIRETECANDY But no response...(hopefully I get a reply from him as I do have plans later in the year to order 5 cameras for business use) though I keep seeing his latest status saying his latest activity been recent...

Please help? Any way to access/recover NVR? Sorry for the inconvenience.

P.S. I have the new ConfigTool yes. Can't view/enter my NVR :(

Update: Currently using my logitech webcam as an alternative camera while trying/waiting for a solution to this issue :rolleyes:. Temporary.

Last edited:

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Chinese New Year. You probably won't hear from him until after that's over. February 8th, this year, I believe that is?
Oh shoot, thanks for pointing that out haha. If you're reading this @EMPIRETECANDY, keep enjoying your New Years. Catch ya on Feb 8th.

Though, @Dramus , do you have any suggestions on how to fix up this issue?

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Have you examined the user's manual for the various solutions for recovering/resetting the admin password? I just looked and there are several solutions presented, incl. using a recovery email address and scanning a QR code with a mobile device.

Network Video Recorder User’s Manual V4.4.6 (pdf)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you truly reset to factory default, then you would start over just like when it was new.
Parameter Description User By default, the user is admin. Password In the Password box, enter the password for admin. The new password can be set from 8 characters through 32 characters and contains at least two types from number, letter and special characters (excluding"'", """, ";", ":" and "&"). Confirm Password Prompt Question In the Prompt Question box, enter the information that can remind you of the password. On the login interface, click , the prompt will display to help you reset the password.

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey @Dramus and @looney2ns , thanks for the reply/help.

So I followed @Dramus pdf instructions and was able to use the "forgot password" function located in the signup/login section in "SmartPSS" and successfully resetted the password to a new one. However, when I tried to access my NVR using the Configtool > select NVR > click on the internet explorer icon > login page, it does not accept my new password...tried entering mumerous times and now account lock for 5mins :( . in fact, it does not accept any of the Dahua passwords (UsernameandPassword - Dahua Wiki).

here.png

Look forward to hearing your responses and also soo hype to see @looney2ns appear haha.

P.S. Yep, I've been using the forum search and Google to locate solutions :D .

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
I might come in from a wild angle, but what-if you connect a local screen & keyboard to the NVR, and login with "admin/<blank>". From my past experiences, there were some security background stuff not allowing people logging in with blank passwords. If you really succeeded in "factory reset" the NVR, then the admin password became blank.

So hook up an HDMI/VGA screen, keyboard, and try to login there.

Good luck!
CC

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I might come in from a wild angle, but what-if you connect a local screen & keyboard to the NVR, and login with "admin/<blank>". From my past experiences, there were some security background stuff not allowing people logging in with blank passwords. If you really succeeded in "factory reset" the NVR, then the admin password became blank.

So hook up an HDMI/VGA screen, keyboard, and try to login there.

Good luck!
CC
Hey Cam,

Nice name. Sounds catchy haha. Hmm, you got a point there. Looks like I'l give this a shot in a few days since I need to borrow a ladder due to my NVR being up in the attic...arghh the struggles...Will report back in a few days. Hopefully your method works ;)

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@catcamstar sorry for the late response. Finally got a chance to get a ladder....anyways, problem solved now. Your method works. Thanks a bunch.