Add audio to an ip camera via my NVR?

tubac

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi,
i have a no name 1 mp ONVIF ip cam which is mounted in an owl box.
i want to add sound to that channel but the cam only has a lone RJ-45 receptacle for power and data. No other plugs -that's it. I have this NVR: http://www.securitycameraking.com/8-channel-4k-nvr-with-8-poe-60724-prd1.html it has audio in/out Rca connectors. The NVR is about 250 ft from the camera and where I want to attach the mic. I know I'll need cabling and a powered mic as well as enabling audio on the NVR. Should this approach work, or do I need an ip camera with an audio cable? If there is an alternative hook up please let me know. The camera with a 1/4 inch chip and a 2.8mm lens covers the inside of the box very well otherwise I'd look for another camera with audio.

Thanks,
Tubac

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
If you're satisfied with the cam you've got and you don't mind running another cable you could always use a balun and run another length of cat5 and use it to carry the audio back to the NVR. Either that or ask Security Camera King if their NVR supports cams with sound and, if so, then get a cam either with built-in audio or a jack for an external mic. A cam with the Sony IMX322 and a 4mm lens should give you a FOV very similar to your current one with 1/4" and 2.8mm lens combo.

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Be sure to look into your States laws regarding audio recording. Some States are "two party consent" which means you basically cannot record audio with security cameras in a realistically legal way.

IP cams that support audio with external or built in mics usually transmit that audio over the same cable as the video as IP data packets that happen to contain audio data instead of video data, so no separate cable needed.