Add camera feeds from remote location

Falcon

n3wb
Reaction score
I have BIv4 up and running on a 24/7 PC with 7 cameras. I've been given permission to install a Dahua SD49225T-HN and a Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z camera at a relative's house across the pond in Europe. I will install them myself but will only have physical access once per year so I need to make sure I get the set-up correct. I want to add them to BI on my PC in the US so I can see what's going on there.

I'm not sure if their router/modem is static or dynamic so I may have to set up a DDNS service on one of the cameras.

What other settings should I make to see them back here in the us? And to see them on the BI App on my Android?

Do I need to set up any certain type of video format?

I searched and found a short thread on public EarthCams but I'm setting these up myself and need to get it right.

All comments and assistance welcomed.

Falcon

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
See the thread Vpn for noobs.

You need to use a vpn between the two locations.

Do they have enough upload speed to make this worthwhile?

Falcon

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Looney,

I've read that thread and am now sold on VPN. I just recently purchased an ASUS router with DD-WRT firmware on it to begin the conversion of my own home network. Haven't got it all figured out just yet. I don't think I know enough yet to go over there and set up a VPN server.

All I know at this point is that they are on a fiber optic cable for their internet, so I assume the speed is there. I'm trying to find out what type of router or "box" they have. They don't speak English so it's all done through my tech-challenged spouse.

I'm not so sure that they will let me re-arrange their home network much beyond adding a POE switch, running two Cat6 cables and mounting the two cameras.

I do have a friend in the US that can test the connection while I'm over there to see if it works, but if I get something wrong I will have to wait a year to make any changes that need to be made in person. My relatives only know how to start a tablet and Skype.

Falcon

Falcon

n3wb
Reaction score
The current plan is to set up two Raspberry PI’s with PiVPN. I’ll take one over there and set it up when I install the cameras. I will set the other one up on my home network.

Question: Is it possible to configure the Raspberry PI on my network to make both the site-to-site connection (to establish a secure connection between my relative’s network and my home network) AND make a client-to-site connection (my Android phone to my home network) simultaneously? If I have a feed from the two cameras installed at their house to my BIv4 PC, I would also like to make a secure connection from my Android phone to view BIv4 on my BIv4 PC.

Falcon