Add IP Cam to Hikvision - Offline (Abnormal network) error

JMSCA

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello All,

I recently swapped out an IP cam on my Hikvision NVR. The old one was going bad. The new one is the same IP cam/Hikvision. I was able to configure the new cam manually before connecting it to the NVR. I didn't use the existing cam IP, but gave it a new one which was within the NVR list of IP's for cams. The previous cam was plugged into D5 on the NVR. The new cam is connected to D13. This is a 16 port NVR, so lots of extra ports to choose from. Once the NVR was booted up there were issues upon viewing the NVR's IP camera configuration on the web interface.
The cable plugged into D5 was now plugged into D13 for the new IP cam. When viewing the NVR web interface D13 was giving an error message for the new cam Offline (Network Abnormal). Just by chance I took the cable plugged into D13 and put it into D5 and rebooted the NVR. Now I'm able to see the new cam in IVMS and the web interface however D5 is showing Offline, Network Abnormal. D13 is showing Online. This I don't get. Should I have removed the cam from D5 first and then added it to D5 port?

Any suggestions to resolve the Offline, Network Abnormal for D5? This is odd because I have the new Cam plugged into this port (D5) and it's working as expected. And Port D13 shows Online for the cam Status however nothing is plugged into this port.

Thanks in advance.

trempa92

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Factory reset your IP cam and then plug it in, it will automaticly be activated with channel default password and NVR will assign IP address to it.

OR switch from plug n play in NVR and select manual and then enter camera information, remember PoE outputs are different NIC

JMSCA

n3wb
Reaction score
thank you, trempa92 for the reply. I don't think I want to go with the factory reset.

If I go the route of switch from Plug n Play in the NVR and select manual, should I enter the old IP address & password from the camera I removed? Any configuration to the IP cam separately?
Thanks.

Last edited:

JMSCA

n3wb
Reaction score
another option I've been thinking about is to update the IP to the D5 port IP on the on the new camera. Would i have to update the password of this cam to the cam that used to be on D5? Also not sure of the order of this update. Ugh. Why is this so difficult?

JMSCA

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello All,

Just a note that I resolved the Offline (Abnormal Network) error when viewing the Camera Management -> IP Camera under Configuration. Since the new camera was plugged into D5 I updated the IP address to the same as the D5 port. Refreshed, then updated the camera to Hikvision. Now the D5 port says Online. The D13 port which didn't have anything plugged into now had the error in Camera Management/IP Camera of Offline (Abnormal Network). I edited D13 and changed the Add Method to Plug n Play instead of Manual, saved, refreshed and now it's says Offline (IP camera does not exist), which is expected when nothing is plugged into the NVR D13 port.

I hope this may help someone looking to swap out an IP camera on their Hikvision NVR. What a fiasco! At least now I know what to do the next time I swap out an IP cam on my NVR.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I hope this may help someone looking to swap out an IP camera on their Hikvision NVR. What a fiasco! At least now I know what to do the next time I swap out an IP cam on my NVR.
They might also find the same solution that was suggested in your other thread on the topic ...