Add more cameras on the PoE side by using a switch

oknet

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, new to this forum.
It was said to me that the onboard PoE ports accept only a single connection to a single PoE camera (mostly using the plug and play discovering feature )
Is it possible to add an ethernet switch on one of these ports to add more cameras ??
Since the linux interface is a single one ( poe0 : 192.168.254.1/24 ) it should work but I can't get it until now....
If I add a new PoE switch to the 16th port of my 7732 and "manually" add two TLC to the existing list of 16, (with the 16th port NOT in plug and play mode), from NVR cli I can ping their IP address (192.168.254.51 and 52) once they are connected to the external switch , but they are not seen by the system.

Any idea if this is possible or why it is not ??

Thank you

OldStyle

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you daisy chain switches? Is that what you're asking?

oknet

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes , local trainers say it is not possible.
Since the internal PoE ports are already switched to poe0 I'm asking myself why it isn't working if the cameras connected in daisy chain switch are "pingable" however....

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You can certainly daisy chain switches to extend a network.
But the NVR will not recognise anything other than the device at the IP address that's defined in each specific PoE port. You can't add multiple IP addresses to each PoE port configuration, it allows just one.
If you have spare NVR channels currently not all allocated on the PoE channels, you can add these to the normal LAN and they will be accessed via the NVR LAN interface.

oknet

n3wb
Reaction score
You can certainly daisy chain switches to extend a network.
But the NVR will not recognise anything other than the device at the IP address that's defined in each specific PoE port. You can't add multiple IP addresses to each PoE port configuration, it allows just one.
If you have spare NVR channels currently not all allocated on the PoE channels, you can add these to the normal LAN and they will be accessed via the NVR LAN interface.
Ok, so it's "hardwired" that only a single ip address can be assigned/detected on a single PoE port ( however it would be interesting to know how it is done, probably it is something more than a simple internal poe switch connected to poe0 interface...)

Using remaining NVR channels on LAN side is usually done, I just ask this question because to have many NVR channels on LAN side plus some PC running a live view is a bottleneck on LAN interface, or at least I think so.... it would be more "healthy" to have TLCs on one side and viewers/managers on the other side of device.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
to have many NVR channels on LAN side plus some PC running a live view is a bottleneck on LAN interface
Your 7732 has 2 Gigabit LAN ports - up to a theoretical 2000Mbps if you bond them - so even using just one with 20 cameras at say around 5 or 6Mbps each and a Live View at another 5Mbps is by no means going to strain the capacity of the LAN interface.
That's assuming your LAN core switch is also Gigabit to match.

oknet

n3wb
Reaction score
7732NI-SP has only one Lan port but, yes, it should be enough to manage the nine TLCs I need on lan side plus some live viewers, anyway....
Thank you

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You are quite correct, apologies - I was looking at the specs for the non-PoE version of the 7732NI-E4, just a single Gigabit LAN interface on yours.