Adding Cameras over the WAN

Hik2love

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I know this can be done, because I have seen it done before I just cant wrap my head around why it isnt working for me, or am I missing any other ports to open/forward on my ATT router.

Scenario: I have two cameras that I want to add to my GeoVision VMS. These cameras are NOT on my LAN network. The cameras are connected to my ATT 300/300 Fiber circuit. I have changed the HTTP port for both cameras from default "80" to a different port, both cameras have different HTTP port. i created port forwarding of the HTTP from the router to point to each camera respectfully. I have confirmed I can access both cameras GUI from outside the network with the new HTTP ports. all is great. I have a ios app called, IP CAM, that I am able to add the cameras to but i cant get live feed for some reason keeps timing out.

On the GEONVMS I was able to add the camera with the new HTTP port, and I get a green icon but it also doesnt show any live feed.

Anyone know if there is any other ports I need to forward?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone know if there is any other ports I need to forward?
I doubt you'll get much support for letting the entire internet access the (unspecified) IP cameras by port forwarding.
It's too big a risk to the network the cameras are on being hacked and compromised.
You need to work up a site-to-site VPN to do this more safely - plus it will be as if the cameras are on the local LAN, no need to puzzle over which ports the camera use for their comms.

Hik2love

n3wb
Reaction score
I doubt you'll get much support for letting the entire internet access the (unspecified) IP cameras by port forwarding.
It's too big a risk to the network the cameras are on being hacked and compromised.
You need to work up a site-to-site VPN to do this more safely - plus it will be as if the cameras are on the local LAN, no need to puzzle over which ports the camera use for their comms.
thanks but in this environment there’s no needfor site to site vpn. The only devices kn this Netwkrk are the two IP Cameras so No Security issues :). Otherwise i wouldn’t have gone this route.
Customer wanted two cameras in this location and the only option we had without breaking the bank with new conduit runs back to MPOE was ordering att fiber for $50 /month lol.

but I was able to get RTSP over tcp working for now. But becuase if that i can’t do motion recording and only continuous. So right now I’m pretty sure the culprit is the att gateway blocking packets so I’m goign to add static block and assign it to the camera individually to bypass the gateway and see if that allows me to add these cameras normally.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hackers are happy to just infect your cameras and use them to attack other targets.

If you are going to forward a port:
1. Restrict your port forwarding rule so it only works from the IP address your NVR will be using to connect to the cameras. Do not open it to the entire internet. It will get hacked, infected with malware, and then if you are lucky all it will do is use a bunch of your internet bandwidth for malicious purposes and not cause any other damage.
2. Do not change the default ports on the cameras.
3. Forward a TCP port number of your choosing to port 554 on the camera. This is for RTSP traffic. Unless you're needing to use other advanced functionality like an Onvif event stream or PTZ controls, you only need to forward the RTSP port.