Adding IP Cams "on the network" vs "direct-to-NVR"

kuchars22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been using an 8ch HIKVISION Turbo HD DVR's for a long while now, and my particular model allows up to additional 2 cameras that are on the same LAN as the DVR (currently HVV door entry access panel and monitor). So my 8-ch coax DVR can actually take 10-ch in total.

I'm considering upgrading to an Acusense NVR, for simplicity of installation and added features over coax. The only downside is that I already have 8x decent cameras and to replace with IP cameras is not going to be cheap, but then came across this Hikvision iDS-7204HUHI-M1/FA/A. It is a 4ch Turbo with up to 6 network cameras.

My questions are:

1) Do native NVR's typically have this option also? In my case, I will use up all of my 8 cameras and need 2 for my door access solution, so I don't want to buy an 8-ch NVR only to find out that it doesn't support additional "on-LAN" devices.
2) Are there any significant pros/cons in using IP cameras on the LAN vs direct to an NVR? I've not used IP cameras, only the door access solution. I can only think of PoE and data transfer speeds dependent on the infrastructure.

The idea is to get this DVR and using my existing cameras, and then replace a few for of them with IP cameras which is easier to budget for. Eventually I'll get an NVR and replace the remaining coax cameras.

Final questions relating to Acusense:
3) I rely on the Smart Search feature of my DVR a lot, which is a pain with gas flue/head lights/rain triggering too much in the winter months Would Acusense improve on this, in particular car headlight filtering, when used in conjunction with a perimter or line-crossing feature?

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I’m not sure about hik these days but if they’re like dahua when switching cable type in settings to use IP you lose a lot of the advanced features.

kuchars22

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’m not sure about hik these days but if they’re like dahua when switching cable type in settings to use IP you lose a lot of the advanced features.
You mean any proprietary features like analytics?

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, on their “16” channel or whatever you can actually have 32 cameras but you lose IVS.