Advice: Built-in POE vs. Switch

Btan

n3wb
Reaction score
This is what I'm thinking, but am seeking advice. I like the idea of buying an NVR without the POE ports on the back, and buying a switch. That way I can run all the cameras to the switch in the attic, then just connect the switch to the NVR which would be near the TV in the living room.

But having to buy it separate costs more.

Is it worth it to by the NVR and switch, or just by the NVR with the ports built-in.

Are there any other positives/negatives with either?

Equipment wise I'm looking at LTS now, thanks to milkisbad.

Without the ports I like the LTS LTN8916 ($399) with a trend net POE+ switch for like $130 amazon.
LTN8916:
  • 16 Channel Network Video Recorder
  • Support Live View, Storage, Playback up to 12MP IP Camera
  • Quad-core CPU (non-quad core $359)
  • 160MB Bandwidth
  • 4K (3840x2160) HDMI Video Output
  • 4 SATA up to 6TB each HDD
  • H.264/H.264 Zip+/H.265 Ready
With the ports i was looking at the LTN8716K-P16 ($399)

• 16 Channel Network Video Recorder
  • Support Live View, Storage, Playback up to 4K(8MP) IP Camera
  • 160MB Bandwidth
  • 16 Built-in PoE
  • 4K (3840x2160) HDMI Video Output
  • 2 SATA up to 6TB each HDD
  • H.264/H.264 Zip+

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I vote separately. You can also use the switch to power additional things, such as IR Illuminators if that's something you decide on later. Or you can just use the open ports on the switch to connect other devices to your network.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I vote separate, not from experience but because that's what I chose to do. I picked up a 24 port poe Cisco switch for $80 on ebay, and the 8916 is "in the mail", shipped the same day I placed the order.

Btan

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been in contact with milkisbad....but since you would know. How much is shipping from him for the LTS products... idk how to estimate the size and weights... what all did you buy? I'm prolly gonna get 1NVR and 4-5 cameras to start.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I got the 8916 and two 4MP matrix bullet cameras (CMIP91542W). Shipping to the west coast was $61, which was softened a bit by the cameras having come down $10 from the catalog price. I'm going to get it set up and running with the 2 cameras before spending more money. I got one 4mm and one 6mm lens to try out each in the various camera positions. Don't know if I'll use LTS for the other cameras or not, will cross that bridge later.

pschmehl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is what I'm thinking, but am seeking advice. I like the idea of buying an NVR without the POE ports on the back, and buying a switch. That way I can run all the cameras to the switch in the attic, then just connect the switch to the NVR which would be near the TV in the living room.
I had the same idea - to put the PoE switch in the attic - until I thought about it. There is a reason professionals put electronic equipment in rooms with massive coolers. Electronic equipment suffers from shortened life when subjected to temperature higher than 80 degrees (about 27C) for lengthy periods of time. In fact, after thinking about it, i rejected the idea of mounting a PoE switch in my garage, which gets nowhere near as hot as an attic.

Not only does heat shorten the life of electronic equipment but it also causes all sorts of weird behaviors while the equipment is still working. I would strongly advise against mounting a PoE switch in the attic. But it's your money.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I didn't mention why I went separate. The main reason was that if the POE switch breaks you don't have to throw away the NVR, and of the NVR breaks you don't have to throw away the POE switch. A second factor was I figure there will be a whole lot less heat in the NVR box to help things fail.