Advice : camera for driveway & Garden

Symbiot78

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all

So.. yes, pretty much surveillance virgin here.. So am hoping for some help choosing the correct solution.

I want a camera for our driveway... the driveway from mountpoint to road is about 4 meters and beyond that it's a road leading away from us (house is on the corner of an L road)
I would like to include "some" of the road.. meaning I don't mind if I can see what goes on up the road.

I've been looking at Hikvision 2355 but here in Denmark the price is approx: €280, £250, $330 which is a bit steep.

I was looking at some of the links for aliexpress but those will be guaranteed to be stopped in customs and a good deal of money added to the price.

Then I looked at UK based sellers on Ebay like this:

Hikvision DS-2CD2355FWD-I 5MP 2.8mm Netzwerk PoE Turret Kamera H.265 IR 30m IP67 | eBay

but I see some discussions here regarding th etrustworthyness of resellers & the cameras themselves being Chinese models..

So I am in a bit of a bind...

Also I am looking to install one in the garden but this is only for the kids.. meaning I can check the camera to see what the kids are doing in the playground/trampoline.. so just something extra to see if everything is ok.. on this sound would be nice..

Can someone guide me regarding:

1. selection of camera (perhaps it's something completely different I need? )
2. using resellers on ebay

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Some questions:
Is it possible to take a photo from where you are thinking of mounting the camera, and also one looking back towards the house? Same for the garden area.
What is the street lighting like?
Can you get cabling to the camera mounting points.
What are the garden dimensions?
An aerial picture would be helpfull as it makes it a lot easier to judge what size lens would be required.

I have a Hik 2385F-I and have been really impressed with its performance. New model and better night time performance.
I paid around $154.00usd delivered to NZ. Have you looked at this model?

Whats the level of duty (tax) you pay in Denmark on camera imports?

Jamil

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all

So.. yes, pretty much surveillance virgin here.. So am hoping for some help choosing the correct solution.

I want a camera for our driveway... the driveway from mountpoint to road is about 4 meters and beyond that it's a road leading away from us (house is on the corner of an L road)
I would like to include "some" of the road.. meaning I don't mind if I can see what goes on up the road.

I've been looking at Hikvision 2355 but here in Denmark the price is approx: €280, £250, $330 which is a bit steep.

I was looking at some of the links for aliexpress but those will be guaranteed to be stopped in customs and a good deal of money added to the price.

Then I looked at UK based sellers on Ebay like this:

Hikvision DS-2CD2355FWD-I 5MP 2.8mm Netzwerk PoE Turret Kamera H.265 IR 30m IP67 | eBay

but I see some discussions here regarding th etrustworthyness of resellers & the cameras themselves being Chinese models..

So I am in a bit of a bind...

Also I am looking to install one in the garden but this is only for the kids.. meaning I can check the camera to see what the kids are doing in the playground/trampoline.. so just something extra to see if everything is ok.. on this sound would be nice..

Can someone guide me regarding:

1. selection of camera (perhaps it's something completely different I need? )
2. using resellers on ebay

Hi thanks for the message. Hikvision have recently launched an Easy iP 3.0 range which means that they have 3mp (Dark fighters), 5mp and 8mp.
These cameras I retail them in the UK for the following:

3MP : £115.00 inc VAT
5MP: £135.00 inc VAT
8MP: £180.00 inc VAY

They are all EU spec'd and delivery to Denmark is approx £12.00 inc VAT

JT Wholesaler (Jamils Holdings Limited) Reviews - Read 91 Genuine Customer Reviews

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Symbiot78

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi thanks for the message. Hikvision have recently launched an Easy iP 3.0 range which means that they have 3mp (Dark fighters), 5mp and 8mp.
These cameras I retail them in the UK for the following:

3MP : £115.00 inc VAT
5MP: £135.00 inc VAT
8MP: £180.00 inc VAY

They are all EU spec'd and delivery to Denmark is approx £12.00 inc VAT

JT Wholesaler (Jamils Holdings Limited) Reviews - Read 91 Genuine Customer Reviews
Hi Jamil

Can you post the model names please.. Oh and you have no webshop/site?

Symbiot78

n3wb
Reaction score
Some questions:
Is it possible to take a photo from where you are thinking of mounting the camera, and also one looking back towards the house? Same for the garden area.
An aerial picture would be helpfull as it makes it a lot easier to judge what size lens would be required.

I have a Hik 2385F-I and have been really impressed with its performance. New model and better night time performance.

Hi

Thanks for taking the time.
I can certainly take a photo.. or 2 or 3 :)
Streetlight is ok, nothing much... dunno if I can get a proper shot of that to give you an idea..

Cabling - No problem.
I don't need the whole garden captured - just the playarea. Hopefully the picture(s) I take will give you an idea.
Aerial I cannot find.. meaning yes... google maps does have one but it is so far "up?" "away?" that it doesn't give any hints.

Taxes are.. as far as I remember 25% + fee for clearing customs.. usually it's enough to make purchasing nationally a better option.

Jamil

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Jamil

3MP:
DS-2CD2035FWD-I
DS-2CD2135FWD-I
DS-2CD2335FWD-I

5MP:
DS-2CD2055FWD-I
DS-2CD2155FWD-I
DS-2CD2355FWD-I

8MP:
DS-2CD2085FWD-I
DS-2CD2185FWD-I
DS-2CD2385FWD-I

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Jamil

This (http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/YjaqNny) is where I purchase my 2385 from. Delivery took about 10 days with free standard shipping. Camera is English and fully upgradable.

Paid $ 154.00usd (about 117 British Pounds) I think its a bit cheaper now. You will have to check.

Really nice picture. Very happy with the camera. The motion tracking seems to be a lot better to.

I use a DS-2CD2385FWD-I to cover my driveway/ carport area. One for your driveway and one for the kids play area could work just fine.

Photos would still be helpful to make sure you order the correct lens size.

Last edited:

Symbiot78

n3wb
Reaction score
So.. just checked up on import taxes..

34% (incl. cost for shipping) + €25 in handling fee.

Symbiot78

n3wb
Reaction score
So I am thinking the 2355 2.8 or the 2385 2.8 but unsure of how much the 3 extra Mpixels will matter.. I would think that the playground area would be ok with the 5MP but unsure of the driveway..

Jamil

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I am thinking the 2355 2.8 or the 2385 2.8 but unsure of how much the 3 extra Mpixels will matter.. I would think that the playground area would be ok with the 5MP but unsure of the driveway..
According to the other forums the night vision on the 8mp performs better than the 5mp.

nzipcamera

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would install two of the 2385 models.

What size are the areas? Because the 4, 6, 8 or 12mm lens could be the better options.

It is very easy to order the wrong lens and find you end up with a poorly framed picture. Measuring the area is a good investment in time.

Another option could be a Vari-focal lensed DS-2CD2685FWD-IZS as it has a fully adjustable lens from 2.8 to 12mm and anywhere in-between.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
A rather common mistake is to go for a wider angle lens to try to cover more ground. So you can see what's going on, but you won't be able to tell who did it, their face will be too small in the picture to see any details.
With a 2.8mm lens, you're likely to have this problem. A vari focal for the first camera would help to avoid this.
I'm using a 3.6 right by a door so I know they would have to pass close to the camera. In other places I use a 6mm aimed at a "choke point". Or I have varifocals so I can adjust to exactly what I want.
Also, don't worry so much about number of pixels, I have a 2mp camera that performs great. Night time performance is a bigger concern, bad things happen at night.

Symbiot78

n3wb
Reaction score
Some questions:

So I finally got some images... first the driveway.. an overview of the garage where I want to mount and 2 images showing the outlook from each side (left/right) of the garage.

file.jpeg

1.jpeg 2.jpeg

And the Garden... I want an overview of the trampoline and the sand-area...

again mountpoint then gardenview..

file4.jpeg

file3.jpeg

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For the one to check up on the kids, a wide angle should be fine since you don't need to identify them lol.
For the other one, not sure what you're trying to accomplish?
Most people try to put them to cover entry points, front doors, windows, gates, etc. So if somebody did break into your house, you can identify who it was.
My standard recommendation is to get a camera, mount it on a 2x4, get it working, and see what the picture looks like where you want to mount it. Do this during day and at night, it will look different at night with IR lighting. Then you'll be able to see if the locations you picked will really work.

Symbiot78

n3wb
Reaction score
or the other one, not sure what you're trying to accomplish?

Fair question.
My thought was that since the driveway is the only was onto my property it would make sense to place a camera there..

Would it be pointless?

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hopefully not pointless lol.
Ideally, the driveway camera is placed so you could identify anyone that approaches your place.
Looks like your door is by cam 1, so right above the door may be a better location.
Also don't put the camera over 8 feet high, or you'll just see the tops of peoples heads.

But this is why you should get a camera, and try it out. See how it looks.
You can also use this to help see how things will look
Camera Calculator / Design Software keep PPF>100, tutorial upper left of page.