Advice for Hikvision DS-2CD2347G2H-LIU vs Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE

Nightcli

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello guys,

First of all I must say that I find this forum quite helpful for a newbie like me and after reading many, many reviews I have narrow down to two different camera models for my CCTV setup.
So this are my thoughts and I would appreciate your expertise and recommendations :)

Exterior of the House:
I currently live in Plot 14 and the main objective is to capture all activities from the back of the house, towards the garden - Cameras 2 and 3.
Important factors :
  • Minimum light as it's a small garden with a pathway in from (no public lighting)
  • Small gate where I would like to IDENTIFY any person trying to pass.
  • Front of the house is a one way street so the only requirement is to focus on individuals rather than vehicles/plates or any other activity.
1710252178882.png

So the first quote that I received was to install DH-IPC-HDW3849H-ZAS-PV and from what I learned in this forum, those cameras are suboptimal with MP/Sensor ratio and gimmicky lights.

So I scrapped that idea and from there I started to look into other Dahua cameras and it feels that the 5442T-ZE has a lot of consensus in terms of a very good all around camera.
Due to the fact that I live in the UK, there are a lot more Hikvision resellers and some of the installers recommended DS-2CD2347G2H-LIU which it feels that it can perform better (sharper images) compared to the Dahua hardware.

That is the pickle that I am currently as I'm now struggling to make a decision about these two and would love any recommendation or advice about what should I go for.

Thank you for the help in advance :)

Cheers
TC

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great all around camera:

For longer views:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have both and prefer the picture quality of the Dahua 5442 much better. The GUI seems more intuitive as well. As soon as I got the 5442, I moved the Hikvision to an overview/duplicate role.

Nightcli

n3wb
Reaction score
I have both and prefer the picture quality of the Dahua 5442 much better. The GUI seems more intuitive as well. As soon as I got the 5442, I moved the Hikvision to an overview/duplicate role.
Thank you so much for your recommendation.
Do you think it's advisable to combine 2x 5442 for the front of the house (where I don't need much light), but another model for the back where there is a gate and a camera with warm light would be more suitable?
I cannot see any 5442 with warm light and I also wouldn't like to go for the 3489's. Is there any other camera that you would recommend with warm light embedded?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The thing with the warm white visible light is that they aren't much brighter than a mobile phone on anything but the cameras with the 1/1.2" sensor and once you get the camera off of default/auto settings, the warm light casts maybe a doable range of 8-10 feet, maybe.

The 4K/X and 4K/T that are 8MP on the 1/1.2" sensor can do very well with just the white light and a faster shutter. If your range of focus is in the 15-20 feet range, then the 4K/T would be a good choice (it suffers from a vary small focus area). Otherwise go with the 4K/X.

But yes stay away from the 3849.

Nightcli

n3wb
Reaction score
The thing with the warm white visible light is that they aren't much brighter than a mobile phone on anything but the cameras with the 1/1.2" sensor and once you get the camera off of default/auto settings, the warm light casts maybe a doable range of 8-10 feet, maybe.

The 4K/X and 4K/T that are 8MP on the 1/1.2" sensor can do very well with just the white light and a faster shutter. If your range of focus is in the 15-20 feet range, then the 4K/T would be a good choice (it suffers from a vary small focus area). Otherwise go with the 4K/X.

But yes stay away from the 3849.
Unfortunately the 4K-X and 4K-T are only sold in the US as I cannot find them easily in the UK.
I think I'm getting to the realization that there isn't a silver bullet camera with good MP/Sensor Ratio, white light and IR all together. I guess it's all about specific requirements per camera and see what best suits each place.
Maybe I run the 5442 in all the locations and accept the fact that I need to rely on the IR camera for low light recordings.

Thank you for the help! :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you can provide any light at all, the new versions of 5442, the S3 does very well with little light.

Send a DM to @EMPIRETECANDY, a member here that sells Dahua OEM all around the world from his Amazon site as well as direct. He has sold many cameras to members here from the UK.