Advice for simple cellular internet connected camera?

wrybread

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm helping a friend set up a system to monitor a pump at a remote oyster farm. He needs to see a live view of the camera on demand, or possibly simply see an image that was uploaded once every 15 minutes or so. He's minimally tech savvy.

There's no internet on site, but there is good cellular coverage. Power isn't a problem.

I'm a big fan of Dahua cameras, so I was thinking about connecting one to a cellular hotspot, but it occurred to me that there might be an all-in-one device built for the purpose. In other words something with a cellular connection built in. Obviously that makes me think of a phone...

Can anyone think of a simple device that would do this? Is there some kind of dashcam type thing with cellular data and remote access? Or maybe a phone running an app that allows for remote connection (as opposed to uploading all the time, which would get pricey for the bandwidth)?

Any and all tips invited, and thanks.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hamachi, ngrok or even Dahua's p2p service easy4ip though it's less secure.

Not sure what parameters he watching for, but some other type of sensor and something more like a home automation system is worth considering.

wrybread

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
hamachi, ngrok or even Dahua's p2p service easy4ip though it's less secure.

Not sure what parameters he watching for, but some other type of sensor and something more like a home automation system is worth considering.
We'd still need a hotspot for something like that though. Since his needs are so simple I'm hoping there might be some all-in-one gizmo with internet connectivity that does this.

Agreed on the sensor approach and I mentioned it but he said there's a few things that would be helpful just to get a visual on.