Advice needed: cheap outdoor ip cam with digital I/O

mrtechman

n3wb
Reaction score
I am seeking advice for a cheap China cam that is outdoor rated and has a digital I/O that I can trigger (and hold in the triggered position) from my phone app to control a relay. Essentially, I want to turn on/off my landscape lights with it. Operative word is cheap. (and yes! I know you get what you pay for! but this is more of a fun project than critical operation.) Video quality doesn't need to be that great and will actually be secondary to the I/O function.

any advice, including online vender is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you know they make stuff that does this better and cheaper than a security cam right?

mrtechman

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes. I thought about an aduino or sealevel, but it looks like they require some programming which is well beyond me.

My hope is to control the I/O using blue iris and via a network connection. The idea of using a camera is that it seems like a simple set up and an extra cam in my setup wouldn't hurt either.

I am wildly open to suggestions for other I/o options... Especially if they are cheap and easy. Thanks.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
is this too complicated for you? I think you open a webpage or you can request a URL.. would need to check into it.

http://www.amazon.com/Global-Cache-Contact-Closure-IP2CC/dp/B005J7MPMK

search about on amazon there's alot of network connected relay devices and other things that let you turn your lights on and off from anywhere.. too many to list

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.