Advice Needed on Camera Placement

brent112

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently purchased 4 Hikvision IP Cameras (2 x 2cd2032's and 2 x 2cd2332's). Turrets have 2.8mm lenses and the bullets have 4mm lenses. My plan was to put the two turrets by the main entrances to my house (front and back door). Then put one bullet under the eve of my garage pointing out toward the driveway, and then i would have a spare to put somewhere else. I got a really good deal on the bullets so that is why i bought one more than i really needed at the time. I currently have a D-LInk DSC-930L camera by my front door and is wireless. Do you all think the best place to put the turret is where my current dlink camera is located? I do not think getting network for PoE to it is going to be an issue. The room adjacent to that wall on the second story has a network jack in it that i can hook up a PoE Injector through. I would just have to drill down through an outlet to the first floor and then remove the vinly from the roof area of the porch and cut a hole into the wall and grab it (that is my hope at least).

I have access to the area above the garage and i have an unused Cat5e cable in the garage so my plan is to put a PoE Splitter in the garage and power the camera that will be monitoring the driveway and the back door.

Does anyone have any different recommendations on placement? What should i do with my spare bullet, should i place facing my front yard, or side yard? I do not have any current security concerns, this is more for just being aware of what is going on and seeing who is coming up to my door, etc.

Front Door - Should i put turret in current location of Dlink Camera?
IMG_6181.JPG

I was thinking of putting the spare bullet here pointing out towards my front yard?
IMG_6182.JPG

Or putting the spare bullet here facing side/back yard?
IMG_6184.JPG

I was also planning on putting a turret here facing back door area under pergola, not sure if there is a better location for it.
IMG_6185.JPG

Thanks in advance for any recommendations/knowledge you can share. I am a network engineer by day so i am not scared of the networking/cable side of it, but i am new to the world of prosumer IP cameras and optimal placement of them.