Advice on Camera Positioning and Lenses Thanks

adamdylan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Guys I would be very grateful for any advice whatsoever on camera positions & lenses. (My dream is not to be there). Please see my plan below.

Camera positions min.png

Here are my uninformed thoughts :
1) I put no 5 at b5 instead of position b1 to minimize backlight from windows?
2) All lenses 2.8mm except no 2 being 4mm ?
3) Maybe a ptz camera mid position over the door? (Would have to work from home can this be done easily?)
4) Are all domes definitely ok? for outside? Glare?
5) Camera 4 if I make it a 2cd3132-I S model I can wake staff up when they are sleeping.

Thank you very much.

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't want to feel watched while eating in a dining room, so I'd move 5 over to a wall right of the booths, above that 2-person cocktail/wait table facing the door entrance, with INCIDENTAL coverage into the dining room a bonus. Most diners will be looking into the dining area, occasionally glancing toward the kitchen and entrance, but mostly window watching..keep the cams less obvious, their less obtrusive.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@adamdylan, domes inside only - not outside unless its under a covered set back eve or awning. If you place a dome on the side of a building rain will cause issues with the image or even IR reflection from the spots when it drys. If possible utilize turrets or bullets outside. Also keep in mind the 2.8mm will be a little weak in the IR realm as it is such a wide coverage area. If you have standard 8' or 9' ceilings you will prob be okay, however my guess is Primary focus is monitoring during business hours and after hours coverage is secondary (when IR is on) so this might not be a huge issue. Here are some examples of 2.8mm use - primary function is traffic flow and remote monitoring, not facial ID which is why having these mounted high is fine. I am able to cover our entire tasting room now which is 4,000 sq foot with 21' ceilings (3 14' sound dampening clouds with lights - also where cameras are mounted) with only 3 2.8mm cameras where as before it took 6 with 4mm cameras before the upgrade.

Here is a 2.8mm dome IR only after hours - 14' up no ambient light
soft seating ir only.jpgSoft day.jpg

Here is a 2.8mm dome IR only after hours - 9' up no ambient light
Back Bar IR.jpg

Here is 2.8mm dome 14' up with low lighting and IR
Fireplace IR w ambiant light.jpg FIreplace Day.jpg

2.8mm dome 8' ceiling IR only
Kitchen1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

adamdylan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Alpha. Sorry forgot to mention Im going for the industrial look anyway so there is lots of ugly cable tray suspended from the ceiling. I want people to see the cams anyway in hope some inebriated may act better. You are obviously more of a fine diner than I :)

adamdylan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great pictures thanks. My lighting is going to be low low. If I do have an ir prob maybe the answer is (as suggested by Klasipca) an additional ir source ?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
stand alone IR sources are always an option and can increase coverage dramatically so if you do have any IR issues that would be a solution.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I am not sure why you are interested in that 3MP, it's older tech, check out newer 4mp/2mp ones which are not that much more, they will be better and you can get real English version without a headache with firmware upgrades. For PTZ you could check out that "mini" PTZ, but I wouldn't personally mount it inside home due to its large footprint, might work ok for coffee shop.

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Alpha. Sorry forgot to mention Im going for the industrial look anyway so there is lots of ugly cable tray suspended from the ceiling. I want people to see the cams anyway in hope some inebriated may act better. You are obviously more of a fine diner than I :)
Aha! Well, the solution might be to suspend serving depressants and serve more stimulants! ;) The only spot I can think where coffee supplant beer might be Melbourne...home of the $200 espresso tamper. :O

adamdylan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Klasipca !

Re the 3mp Camera I previously had a quick look and found the 4MP to be approaching twice the price.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-New-Arrival-hikvision-english-version-DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS-4MP-WDR-Fixed-Dome-with-wifi/32370869410.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2015-New-model-DS-2CD2135F-IS-replace-DS-2CD2132F-IS-DS-2CD2132-I-3Mp-Audio-Alarm/1111147_32414907894.html

Could you kindly suggest a model /supplier (and if it has "wd" which I understand is ide dynamic range for backlighting improvement and this makes a significant difference one of these too) Thanks.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Hi Klasipca !

Re the 3mp Camera I previously had a quick look and found the 4MP to be approaching twice the price.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-New-Arrival-hikvision-english-version-DS-2CD2142FWD-IWS-4MP-WDR-Fixed-Dome-with-wifi/32370869410.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2015-New-model-DS-2CD2135F-IS-replace-DS-2CD2132F-IS-DS-2CD2132-I-3Mp-Audio-Alarm/1111147_32414907894.html

Could you kindly suggest a model /supplier (and if it has "wd" which I understand is ide dynamic range for backlighting improvement and this makes a significant difference one of these too) Thanks.
You could try LTS supplier by requesting their catalog here:

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/257-Good-source-to-buy-IP-items-at/page40

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Those images I provided were the CMIP7422-28m from LTS as reference. I also have in use the 2mp bullets and turrets, 3mp turrets and box bullets, as well as 4mp domes. The IR coverage from the turrets is my preference but domes have there purpose/place.