Advice on New Camera Install

Reaction score
Hi,

My first post here. I tried reading a bunch of the threads before posting but I'm sure I'll be asking something that has already been covered, so I apologize.

I am just finishing building a new house (approximately 5500 sq feet over two floors). I had CAT6 prewired to 8 locations on the outside of the house -- Front door, back door, side door, garage and 4 corners of the house. The lowest cameras will be at front door and garage at about 10 feet off the ground. The corners of the house range from 15 to 20 feet high.

I'm looking for recommendations on whether turret or bullet type cameras will be better and will it depend on the height of the install. I can see that bullet cameras have a lot of flexibility on terms of where they can be pointed. Do the turrets have the same flexibility, especially if I mounted as high as 20 feet?

Also, I'm leaning towards Blue Iris solution versus NVR as I like the flexibility and don't mind learning the tech. I plan to supply POE from a central location in my wiring closet. I'd likely put the Blue Iris machine there as well. If I do that, is it easy to access the video from other parts of the house/network or do I need to have the Blue Iris machine in my office or somewhere else easy to access?

Also, I'm wondering if these cameras can be mounted directly onto metal soffit, or whether I need to put some sort of reinforcement in the soffit to hold the weight.

I noticed the Dahua Starlights are recommended a lot. Are there options for where to purchase these? I didn't see the specific models on Amazon, for example. Do the cameras come in anything other than white? I was hoping for something a bit darker to better blend in with my brown exterior of the house. Also, is there a thread somewhere that describes all the components/software needed to setup a system like I'm describing?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
George,

Welcome to the forum!
Lots of new members ask similar questions and look for basic advice. Search those threads.
The lowest cameras will be at front door and garage at about 10 feet off the ground. The corners of the house range from 15 to 20 feet high.
Many recommend 8ft height max, to get enough for identification of people. Video of the top of heads, or the top of a hoodie, isn't very useful. Especially at choke points, like gates and doors.

I suggest temporarily mounting the cam on a stick, and hold the cam where you intend to mount it. Then view the image. You may end up changing the location of the cam after seeing the actual images.

The Starlights are new, so availability is limited. The best source is Andy @EMPIRETECANDY . He's a member here, and lotsa people here have bought from him. Support for your cameras (and NVR, if you go that route) is critical. Hence, stay away from Amazon, Ebay, Aliexpress unless you're experienced, technically, with providing your own support.

There aren't color "options" for the cam enclosure. If you paint the cam brown, it will absorb sun and the cam will run hotter. But if under the soffit, not in direct sun, you may be okay.

Can your soffit handle the weight? I can't answer. The camera has the weight stated on the spec sheet. You decide if reinforcing is needed.

Blue Iris vs NVR?
Apples vs oranges?
A personal choice. Lotsa advocates in each camp.

Turret vs Bullet?
Similar situation. Some say turrets look nicer, and less obvious.
Some like bullets, because they more often have support for an external mic, inputs (like sensor, such as PIR) and outputs (such as strobe light)

Fastb

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I actually have bullets, but they are not recommended because bullets have more problems with spider webs. I guess the IR on the front of the cameras attract spiders, but the bullet shape makes it easier for spiders to make webs.
The starlight turret is the current recommended camera for most uses. You should be able to point to wherever you need to.

I was going to say the same thing about camera height but Fastb beat me to it. You also don't want the camera too close to an overhang. The IR can reflect off the overhang, and make a bright spot in your picture at night, which can mess up the exposure. Mine would reflect off the eaves if it was mounted higher.

For BI "remote control", I use teamviewer. I run teamviewer on the BI machine, and on my laptop. It lets me make changes to BI from the laptop. But it's not the same as sitting in front of the BI PC, which I can do if I need to. I would at least set it up working directly on the PC, and then you can tweak and add stuff using teamviewer.

Monitoring is easy, I can monitor from my phone, laptop or ipad. There are apps for android and apple. From a laptop, you can use an internet browser.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
turret or bullet type cameras will be better
Do some research but I rarely recommend bullets - Bullets typically will give you the Spotlight look because they use the traditional IR ring that gives the halo effect when lighting is limited. Turrets are going to provide you a more even IR coverage because of the matrix IR sensor.

I can see that bullet cameras have a lot of flexibility on terms of where they can be pointed. Do the turrets have the same flexibility,
Turrets have the same full 360 degree movement and can be mounted on vertical or horizonal surfaces.

For 2nd story eve mounting you will want to consider something with mult IR sensors unless you are going to add IR cannons. If not a standard turret IR will not be strong enough most likely to light the FOV. The below is an HIK "bullet" camera but it has 2 matrix IR sensors in it and will provide a nice even scene lighting.
Platinum Matrix IR Bullet Network IP Camera 4.1MP - Bullets - IP Cameras

Can your soffit handle the weight?
Metal soffit by itself - NO, however every soffit i've ever screwed into had a plywood backing above the metal/vinyl unless it is a really cheap cookie cutter/track home. In that case you may have to consider a support or mounting to the back house wall where the wall and soffit meet.

Reaction score
Very helpful advice, thanks! Maybe I'll just place cameras in the lower spots for now, as they are the ones close to doors anyway. The higher corner spots would more be for extra coverage around the property and not as critical.

So it sounds like I can't go wrong with the Starlight Turrets, so I might just go that route. I do have an older 2 camera system with bullets on my pole barn and can attest to the spider web issue. Every night a new set of webs appear (when warm enough) and so I get pretty much 100% motion recording all night. Makes it hard to find out when there was actual movement.

I should have thought about the mounting issue while the house was still being built. I could have built in some support at that time. Since everything will be protected from the sun, I'll just paint the white areas brown to better have them fit in with the house.

Does Andy have a web site, or do I just send a message to him through this forum if I'm interested in finding out about ordering?

I will continue searching the threads and do some research on BI setup/hardware needed.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It looks like only PAL is available on the web site. If I'm in the US don't I need NTSC?

Thanks

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It looks like only PAL is available on the web site. If I'm in the US don't I need NTSC?
Only if your camera has analog output that you're planning on using. Otherwise the video stays all digital and PAL/NTSC doesn't matter. IIRC, firmware can flash the 5231 between PAL/NTSC.

Also, just a heads up that China (where Andy is located) is on their extended New Years holiday. I think he said he'd start shipping on 2/4. He's done a few forum posts since the holiday started, but I'm not sure if he's replying to all messages until 2/4...

Reaction score
I placed an order about a week ago but haven't heard anything back from Andy. Does anyone know when they are back from Chinese new year holiday?

Thanks

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
subscribed for more info, please post your final setup and how you like this, looking into this as another option.

Thank you