Advice on NVR placement in house

Chnsx7

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello All,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to read this.
I am new member and new to the whole POE IP Camera scene.

I'm having a dilemma on where it is best to put my NVR (when I order my system).
For starters, I have a 2 story house with a basement. Cameras would be ran on top top of first floor/beginning of second floor if that makes sense. 8'-10' feet from the ground.

I have had contractors come out and give me quotes mostly for option #1.

I was thinking of 4 placements:

1) Is to to put the NVR in the basement utility or storage room.
This would be the most ambiguous/discrete location, and the cleanest install.
however it calls for longer runs of Ethernet cabling and more drywall work which I assume is most expensive option out of all.

2) Is to put it on the first floor closest.
This would also not be visible to someone first walking in,
however there is no power source in the closest to power the NVR or and Wireless Access Point I would use to give internet connectivity to the NVR with.
I'm assuming this would be less costly since they only have to run cable on the same floor

3) Is to put it somewhere on the first floor living room installed on a NVR wall mounted cabinet.
Besides paying for the cabinet in addition, the installation of Ethernet cabling would not be as much as option #1 and similar to option #2,
however it would obviously be visible to anyone who walks inside the house and may have to deal with noise from the NVR?

4) Is to put the NVR in the garage

I assume this is probably the cheapest method for installation for me since all the cameras would be near the garage and the cable runs would be super short,
however the NVR would be subject to hot and cold during summer and winter times.
Also I have to consider to run all the other Ethernet cabling to the front of the house(garage) if I decide I want to add additional POE cameras (from side of house/back of house).

Again, here are my thoughts. I really appreciate your time into reading this.

Thank you in advance!

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm going to suggest #1,
Mostly because the fans on most NVRs are noisy little things.

The garage is an absolute no by the temperature changes.

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I disagree. I think 4 is the best option. I’ve had my NVR in my garage for over 5 years with ZERO issues. It is high on a shelf, just below the roof. It is the hottest part of the garage. I live in California, with sun year round. The location was perfect for routing cables. I even have the NVR hiding in a old window mounted air conditioner that I gutted. If someone was in my garage and looked up, they would think it’s just a heavy A/C and move on! Quality NVR’s are designed for extremely temperatures, as well as the hard drives. (WD purple) At my business I have that NVR in a similar location. It’s on top of an office, just a few inches below the roof of the building. It’s a metal roof, and in the summer the roof gets so hot you can’t even touch it. The fan in the NVR will scream at full speed, but I haven’t had any issues with it yet and it’s been there for over 3 years

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I have my BI PC in my attic/loft which suffer from extremes of hot and cold, admittedly it’s only been a year but so far I’ve had no probs. The guy who did my cabling also said that the roof space was the most popular place as it’s the easiest to run the cables.

Chnsx7

n3wb
Reaction score
I have my BI PC in my attic/loft which suffer from extremes of hot and cold, admittedly it’s only been a year but so far I’ve had no probs. The guy who did my cabling also said that the roof space was the most popular place as it’s the easiest to run the cables.
Hey, how are you giving power to your device? Is there power outlet already installed in the attic or you just running a long extension cord?

Ookie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You are playing with fire. Just because it hasn't failed yet doesn't mean that it won't.

And the guy who did your install is a dope. As are most people who take the easy way out.

We do commercial installs on a pretty large scale.

It is well established in the information technology field that the #2 enemy of tech products is heat (water is #1). Some of our clients have some pretty sophisticated IT departments. Thermal management of areas with equipment (e.g. routers, switches, NAS, etc) is not taken lightly. Those rooms often have specific AC units, etc.

Hard drive manufacturers generally state that safe operating temps for drives are up to 60 deg C. An attic can reach reach 150F (65C) easily. You are literally playing with fire if you place something that has both hard drives and your PoE transformer up there.

The one exception is if your attic has spray foam insulation (e.g. built in the last five years or so). That stuff is awesome. In traditional construction, the insulation is in the floor of the attic. The attic is unconditioned space and can reach 150 deg easy in most areas of the US. In spray foam applications, the insulation is applied in between the roof rafters so that the attic becomes conditioned space. You would probably be good with such a setup, as those attics tend to stay pretty cool.