Advice on Pinhole / Mini / Small IP Camera or Video Converter

ibrettj

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my camera setup and would like your advice on small camera's or video converters which will work with Blue Iris.

Ideally what I would like to achieve is something like the Hikvision pinhole camera http://www.hikvision.com/en/Products_show.asp?id=9620 although without spending £400+ per camera.

The actual pinhole cameras are reasonably cheap but they are of course analogue. My machine is already full of boards and I haven't had a great experience with analogue capture boards or USB Video feeds working with Blue Iris in the past. Id therefore really prefer an IP route if possible.

The camera's are to be hidden out of sight, hence why I like the pinhole as they are extremely easy to disguise. Does anyone know of any camera's this size or similar, which work with Blue Iris or even a converter that would get the analogue camera's to interface with Blue Iris via an ip method rather than a cable connection.

Alternatively, if Pinhole is unachievable, i would be interested in a camera thats as small as possible.

Requirements are:

As small as possible
Ip Connection to Blue Iris
Indoor only
Doesn't require Night Vision.
Wired or Wireless

Any help you guys can offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Brett

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would first try a different source for the hikvision. They sell for 269 in the us, and about 200, but as low as 155 direct from china via ali express...even with all the added taxes they levy on you it should be way less than £400. Another option is to find a DVR that works well with BI, there are many, and run analog cameras to the DVR, then stream from the dvr to BI...this route is much cheaper than using dedicated encoders.
Finally, there are some pinhole cameras that are poe, you need to confirm that they work with BI, have the seller send you alink.
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=pinhole+poe&catId=&initiative_id=SB_20140814050250

ibrettj

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks @fenderman, I'll look in to the Hicvision a little more. I'm assuming that it would be compatible with Blue Iris as they list Hikvision RTSP instead of the camera models and the Hicvision Pinhole claims to support RTSP?

I hadn't realised a dvr could be streamed in to Blue Iris so I'll certainly look in to that too, as that may be the answer if I can't find the Hicvision Pinhole or similar at a reasonable price. Obviously the cam would be ideal though as it would link directly over the IP network without the use of a DVR.

Thanks @framednlv, these are the sort of things I'm looking for and I particularly like the small board cams, however i would prefer something from a UK distributor, at least to start with. Don't fancy having to get it from China and try and return it if it turns out to be incompatible.

Last edited by a moderator:

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When I buy from China, I don't expect to return anything or get any support. This is why people should post their experience with these off brand items they buy. <<my 2 pennies worth

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The hikvision will work with the default hik rtsp in BI. If you like the board cam, find one that says its poe and confirm with the seller that it works with BI…have them send a link. Only buy one to test. You will be saving serious cash over buying locally. Run the test unit for a bit and then buy more if you are happy. If the hikvision is in your budget, get it…you will be satisfied.

ibrettj

n3wb
Reaction score
@fenderman I actually came across this video server from Vivotek, VS8100 http://www.vivotek.com/vs8100/ I'm thinking this may be a cheaper option at around £80 per camera and its small enough that I would be able to take my pick of analogue cams and use the video server as a link to Blue Iris. I may start a separate post to see if anyone has experience of using the VS8100 with Blue Iris. As long as the video is a constant stream and the quality is the same as a direct connection. This could be a cheaper alternative to the Hikvision. Plus its also a smaller form factor than the box on the Hikvision which is also a plus.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The video servers are ok if you already have the analog cameras installed and dont want to run new cable and cams. Consider that you now how to buy a cam, run siamese cable to each camera and the resolution will not be as good as 1.3mp.
Keep in mind the on the hikvision the camera itself is on a 25' cord http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=2371
Or just get a board ip cam with poe.