Advice Outdoor Camera

Atechnical

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello I'm a complete noob apologies for what's coming next. I would like advice on an outdoor camera to monitor a walkway and the driveway behind it. I would like to install it under a soffit or possibly on a post on the ground. I'm not really concerned about crime but monitoring the house while kids are home alone and cars in the driveway during day and night. I'd like notifications on my phone and pad when I'm home. Recording/Saving the video is less important but still interested if the cost and complexity isn't too much. I have some proficiency in technology and like to tinker. I'm a Virgo..Just kidding this post starting to sound like something from on line dating site. Many thanks.

Atechnical

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Last questions it looks pretty small any chance it could be attached to vinyl soffit panel without the need for additional support and is a DVR/NVR required for use with this camera?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you should not mount any camera directly to a soffit w/no backing.. take the soffit out and put in some plywood behind it.

DVR/NVR is not required; however the most recording you can accomplish on a 128GB card continuously w/h265 is ~4 days... if you enabled SmartCodec or recorded substreams you could get more.

Atechnical

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
could you recommend or point me to a thread for an entry level NVR Thanks a ton!