Advice please for a house in the Australian bush with a single access point

BushAl

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking to install a camera at the point of view below which is the only entry to our house yard, and about 30M from it. I have power there but its at the meter box so Ethernet (via powerline) is unlikely to be reliable. Wifi is possible via a range extender.
I initially installed a Reolink Argus Eco, hoping to capture and people or vehicles entering or leaving, with enough detail for reasonable identification, but the camera triggers too late for a car as its a battery / solar.
So advice please on an outdoor camera that would do that job. Ideally solar / wifi but I understand that might not be possible. The photo is a normal phone camera and the distance to the road at the right hand tree is xM

Secondly I intend to install one or two wider angle cameras on the house carport which would cover this area and the house yard. They can be poe. Advice on these would also be great.

I have Home Assistant installed on a 4 year old desktop and hoped to use that rather than a dedicated nvr - just collecting any events, which will be mainly Wallabies unless the camera has enough smarts to ignore them.

Any advice would be very welcome, as my first attempt was very unsuccessful.

Thanks
Al

bridge.jpg

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What's line of site like?
Could you use a varifocal camera from your house and aim it where you need it?

BushAl

n3wb
Reaction score
This is the view from the house (again phone camera no zoom) - I felt the angle was too great but I'm no expert.

Thanks
Al

house view.jpg

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That could work.
Or you could put in a trench and then using a conduit you could run Ethernet to a suitable location and mount a camera in a post.

BushAl

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for that
I would rather not dig a trench.
Would I be better with a pair of cameras - one wide one fixed telephoto on the entrance?
Any suggestions as to cameras