Advice required for first setup

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm looking for a bit of advice on my first Cam Setup, I just want a decent system to monitor the front/back/side with possible another camera at the door.

I've been looking at the Hikvision DS-2Cx332-I cameras which would link to the Synology NAS I already have.

Now I'm 90% sure this is the way I want to go forward, but being a tight wad, though I could take advantage of buying them from aliexpress. They are around £20 cheaper each then Amazon there. Obviously they have the hacked firmware so they are in English, but is this something to be concerned about?

They wouldn't be accessing from outside my home network, so I'm happy not doing any firmware updates.

Or is there something else for me to look at?

Thanks,

Paul

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hiya,

Thanks for that, looks better. Is this a good 'entry level' home camera. I'll probable now look at linking it with an NVR (Hikvosion one maybe) to provide the POE etc.
I might start with just one and then go from there.

Paul.

MrRalphMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone have suggestions for mounts? These will probably be set about eight foot on a brick wall

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Depends on location and where you want the camera to point. Hik turrets won't point at 180 degrees to where they're mounted, so some kind of slanted mount or one with an arm might be nice. If mounted on horizontal soffet, the camera will have to point down towards the ground a bit. If mounted on a wall and you want it to point horizontally on the wall you'll have to angle the mounting. This lack of adjustment is probably a "feature" of the turrets to help avoid mounting-induced IR reflection issues, particularly for wide-angle lenses but there are times when you might want to get around that. You'll have to decide yourself or provide pics for someone else to give you a meaningful opinion depending on mounting location and the angle you want. If it's directly under an eave and you want it to point almost parallel to the eave/ground then maybe a bullet with the shade on top would be preferable to protect the lens from IR reflection. A turret like you've been considering is much better than a dome for IR reflection problems if you want to use built-in IR though.

I consider those cams good entry level cameras as long as you've got extra lighting. Lens choice and supplemental lighting will be critical if you expect detailed facial ID pictures at any kind of distance though. With no extra lighting (no nearby street lights, house lights minimal or off, no external IR illuminator) you might want to consider something else if you want a good chance at ID.

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20160129101001&SearchText=hikvision+mount

Also, if you choose the 3345, make sure that any NVR you order will support the newer 4mp h.265 cameras. They don't work with the older NVRs.