advice with switches- managed- and going to VLANs

sillycam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have an old 3750 Cisco POE 10/100 switch that I have been using for my POE cameras. I had bought an unmanaged Gigabyte switch to manage faster data. I have a PFsense fire wall on a min PC and have have 4 LAN ports I can use. I am looking to upgrade my home network to use Vlans to separate my network.

First question, If I dedicate one of the ports on my router to a particular Vlan, can I still keep the dumn switch as long as I only plug in devices in that particular Vlan?

Second question, Since I have to pay the electrical bill... does anyone know how efficient these older 3750 switches are over newer POE switches? I was looking at the option of getting another 3750 (which are dirt cheap), or buying new switches.

Thanks.

Brendon06

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In answer to your first question. yep that will work in order to keep your "dumb" switch (you can also manually tag some devices that have that capability) your router would do the tagging instead of the switch

For the second question sorry I don't have an answer but I would imagine something newer would be alot more efficient and would likely have gigabit throughput which is never a bad thing for devices that are capable of it or at least for the uplink anyway
I think that's the specs for your switch maybe you could compare with something else you can find on your budget and see if the extra cost is worth the power savings

Attachments

Reaction score
Just kind of estimating based on a POE switch I bought recently for cheap. I assumed the "POE power" watts are included in the "switch power" watts on the Cisco sheet provided by @Brendon06 or it gets substantially worse. Also I don't know if these switches are comparable in other ways (likely not), but if just powering cameras and using as a dumb swithc some of the CISCO features probably matter very little..
The NETGEAR GS348PP is ~$450 and the WS-C3750-24PS-S is probably under ~$150. The energy cost difference is a little over $100/year, so ROI in possibly 3 years give or take? Someone check my math.

NETGEAR GS348PP has a 410W (max) power consumption & 380W maximum POE power budget.
  • Cost to operate at 100% (unlikely) load for 1 year at 0.10/kWh = $359
  • Cost to operate at ~50% POE load for 1 year at 0.10/kWh = $149
WS-C3750-24PS-S has a 492W (max) power consumption & 370W maximum POE power budget. Your 48 port switch is a little more than this.
  • Cost to operate at 100% (unlikely) load for 1 year at 0.10/kWh = $431
  • Cost to operate at ~50% POE load for 1 year at 0.10/kWh = $257

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The Cisco WS-3750-24PS-S is $50. Cisco Catalyst 3750 24-Ports RJ45 SFP PoE Managed Network Switch WS-C3750-24PS-S | eBay

This is an old switch and was EOL a long time ago. If you buy one of these used, it will be at least 10 years old.

I had a bunch of these for my CCIE rack, and they worked flawlessly for years. In terms of power consumption, your POE devices will draw more power than the switch itself (regardless if you buy new or used). Look for the power consumption numbers for running without PoE and compare.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.