Affordable Motion Tracking

Jozer99

n3wb
Reaction score
I saw a review of the Xiaomi Yi Dome camera, and to my surprise, a $70 camera with motion tracking! I looked at the Yi Dome, and it looks like it probably won't integrate with Blue Iris, and trusting a Chinese Mega-corporation with my home video archives gives me pause. Are there any alternative affortable PTZ cameras that have motion tracking?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I saw a review of the Xiaomi Yi Dome camera, and to my surprise, a $70 camera with motion tracking! I looked at the Yi Dome, and it looks like it probably won't integrate with Blue Iris, and trusting a Chinese Mega-corporation with my home video archives gives me pause. Are there any alternative affortable PTZ cameras that have motion tracking?
That motion does not work. Motion tracking in general is a gimmick....the most advanced motion tracking is only usable in specific scenarios...you are wasting your time...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
agree with fenderman on this one, video based motion tracking is totally a gimmick.. dont pay any money for it because you'll shut it off once you realize how stupid it is in production.. what good is a security camera that's distracted by squirrels, trees, clouds, trash blowing in the wind, etc.. tracking motion simply is not good enough; you'll come home to the camera looking up at the top of a tree because it tracked a bird up there. meanwhile anything it was supposed to watch didnt have any cameras on it.

Jozer99

n3wb
Reaction score
This would be an indoor camera, so the "distractions" are considerably lower. From the sample videos and 3rd party reviews I have seen, I think the Yi dome camera would probably be adequate to my motion tracking needs. My question is not whether the motion tracking is worth it; but whether there any other manufacturers who offer a similar feature while allowing standard RTSP or other streams decipherable by Blue Iris?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This would be an indoor camera, so the "distractions" are considerably lower. From the sample videos and 3rd party reviews I have seen, I think the Yi dome camera would probably be adequate to my motion tracking needs. My question is not whether the motion tracking is worth it; but whether there any other manufacturers who offer a similar feature while allowing standard RTSP or other streams decipherable by Blue Iris?
The motion tracking is unusable and does not work. Therefore no reputable manufacture has it in a low cost camera. Dont believe the china scammers.
Stop wasting your time. Get a 1080p (that camera is 720p) camera so now you can watch the entire room without the need for motion tracking.