After lots of research....

Chewy1217

n3wb
Reaction score
So after weeks of research I am looking for some feedback on the system I want to install in my house. I’m am looking for a 3-4 camera system.

Here is my plan...all comments and feedback are welcome.

I plan to purchase 4-IP Camera IPC-T5442TM-AS 4MP. These will be purchased from Andy on aliexpress (empire technology). I will run Cat6 cable to power these and the cat6 cable will be run back to a PoE switch. Specifically the Zyxel GS1008HP 8 port.

I will then install a 4TB WD purple drive in a computer that is running blue iris software. I am not sure on the computer yet. I have both a Mac and pc on hand that should do the job.

Am I missing anything? Should I do something different? Thoughts?

Thanks,
Chewy

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I understand you said "...after weeks of research" but I want to insure you did not overlook anything, so here goes:
  • Blue Iris is for Windows 7, 8 and 10 only (10 preferred)...no Macs.
  • Insure your PC meets this: Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris
  • For best results, then do this: Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage
  • It would be ideal to put Windows, BI program and BI's db folder on a SSD with fresh install of Win 10, video clips on that 4TB WD Purple.
  • Dedicate that PC to being your BI server only and no other function.
  • Insure your CAT-6 is solid copper, no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) with jacket rated for your application.
P.S.- Welcome to IPCT ! :wave:

Last edited:

Chewy1217

n3wb
Reaction score
I understand you said "...after weeks of research" but I want to insure you did not overlook anything, so here goes:
  • It would be ideal to put Windows, BI program and BI's db folder on a SSD with fresh install of Win 10, video clips on that 4TB WD Purple.
  • Insure your CAT-6 is solid copper, no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) with jacket rated for your application.
Nope you are correct...this is probably the area I did the least amount of research on. Looks like I have more to learn. Thank you for your reply...I had planned to have a dedicated computer, an older one, but looks like I might need to look into something newer.

It looks like the place to buy cable would be from monoprice.

Another general question. Do I need to buy a junction box for the cameras I am purchasing? I am planning on mounting them under the soffit. Does the junction box need to be weatherproof?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Another general question. Do I need to buy a junction box for the cameras I am purchasing? I am planning on mounting them under the soffit. Does the junction box need to be weatherproof?
Without a j-box, you’ll need to drill a 3/4” hole in the soffit to tuck the camera’s big pigtail through.

With a j-box, you only need to drill a smaller 3/8” hole in the soffit (just big enough to get an unterminated Ethernet cable through). The camera’s big pigtail will fit in the j-box.

The camera comes with a weatherproof boot to go over the Ethernet jack, so the j-box doesn’t have to be entirely waterproof. Most folks don’t like the idea of water building up in it and will look for waterproof ones or drill a small hole for water to drain.

Personally, all of my soffit cams are mounted directly to the soffits. No j-boxes.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It looks like the place to buy cable would be from monoprice.
Great place. Regarding their CAT-6 RJ-45 connectors, I like their 2 piece. You may prefer the pass-thru type with appropriate crimper, as many on this forum give them high praise. I cannot comment on those.
The camera's pigtail MUST be protected from element (moisture and sunlight). If you want a 3/4" hole in your soffit to run the pigtail behind, then a box may not be needed if there's a sturdy mounting surface behind the soffit.
If you prefer a hole half the size, then drill a 3/8", pass your un-terminated cable thru there, mount the box, terminate and test your cable, them mount the box, place connected pigtail in there and mount the cam to the box.
if you get the suggested/correct box for the cam, it should be gasketed and designed to be weatherproof...either way, I would use dielectric grease on the RJ-45 before plugging into the pigtail, behind soffit or in the box.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So after weeks of research I am looking for some feedback on the system I want to install in my house. I’m am looking for a 3-4 camera system.

Here is my plan...all comments and feedback are welcome.

I plan to purchase 4-IP Camera IPC-T5442TM-AS 4MP. These will be purchased from Andy on aliexpress (empire technology). I will run Cat6 cable to power these and the cat6 cable will be run back to a PoE switch. Specifically the Zyxel GS1008HP 8 port.

I will then install a 4TB WD purple drive in a computer that is running blue iris software. I am not sure on the computer yet. I have both a Mac and pc on hand that should do the job.

Am I missing anything? Should I do something different? Thoughts?

Thanks,
Chewy
Be sure your research includes studying this on a real computer: Cliff Notes

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
good info!

You are almost there @Chewy1217. Go with a new computer i5-8500 so you can expand. If using a lot of cams go for i7-8700. A good G4 elitedesk is going for $300-650 depending on the processor.

Good pricing on these:
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF Desktop Computer Intel Core i5 8500 256GB SSD 192545509039 | eBay

Open Box HP EliteDesk 800 G4 TWR i5-8500 3.0GHz 16GB DDR4 512GB SSD Win10 -J1459 | eBay

Chewy1217 - your questions is common and I hope to make a full thread about small details many miss while setting this up. You are not alone on this. Please keep us updated on what you do.

Thanks

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.