AI is broken after switching from DeepStack to CodeProject

spazstic

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 10 cameras running on my server with an i7 970 (hexacore), 32gb ram, SSD for OS and 4tb drive for Blue Iris storage. The server is also used for other purposes (mainly my Plex server).

It worked great for years using Deep Stack. I upgraded Blue Iris about a year ago and Deep Stack was no longer supported. Installed CodeProject and it's worked awfully since then. It completely misses alerts it should record (person in front of camera) and records garbage like cobwebs at night and trees blowing in the wind. Never had those problems with DS. Finally had some time to try to troubleshoot it, and I'm coming up empty.

I keep getting AI timeout errors and AI restart logs. CodeProject server appears to switch between online and offline constantly.

Thought maybe my system is getting overwhelmed (it is older), even though it worked fine with DeepStack. I tried switching to GPU on CP but I don't think the GTX 650 Ti is up to the task.

I have read through countless forums and configurations, watched Youtube videos, and I can't seem to get this working. DeepStack was working flawlessly. My next step is to revert to an earlier build of BI so that I can get DS back.

Any advice or suggestions appreciated.

spazstic

n3wb
Reaction score
Here's one of the analyses from CP. Terrible AI in my opinion. DS very rarely had anything false with over 40%. It's constant with CP.
anl.jpg

spazstic

n3wb
Reaction score
CP Server log. I'm guessing some of the missed images are due to the time it's taking to perform the object detection. Today is a windy day, so there are a lot of alerts occuring.
server.JPG

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What version CP.AI you have installed. Also the Object Detection (YOLOv5 .NET) model is an old version, the current version is 1.6.
You might need to uninstall CP.AI and delete folders C:\ProgramData\CodeProject and C:\Program Files\CodeProject then reinstall the current version of CP.AI 2.2.4.
Before reinstalling CP.AI disable AI in BI main AI setting. Do not enable AI until all the module are installed

spazstic

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, good catch there.

I followed your original instructions - disabled AI in BI, completely uninstalled CP.AI and deleted the two folders, then reinstalled. It took a while then showed the latest version with Cuda running. Started BI, and enabled AI. CP.AI then threw a bunch of errors - GPU too old (v.3.0, v3.7 req'd).

Running on the YOLO v5 6.2 - 1.6.1 now in CPU mode.

However, the AI is still just terrible. In the example below, the trash cans, which are stationary, keep getting flagged as suitcase, or car, or truck. In this example it's flagged as a car at 83% confidence.

The ATV also alternates between motorcycle, truck, and boat.

I also like to have my dogs trigger, but the AI completely ignores them walking through the frame.

I never had these kind of failures with DeepStack. So far my experience with CP.AI is a significant downgrade, unless I'm doing something wrong.

example.jpg

Futaba

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
if you increase the confidence percentage to higher the yellow ones will go away. Try 85%.

spazstic

n3wb
Reaction score
if you increase the confidence percentage to higher the yellow ones will go away. Try 85%.
Thanks, I'm aware of that. I've been playing with changing the percentage and creating blackout zones but my point is that CP.AI is much less accurate than Deep Stack was, so I don't see the push to change. Hopefully it will improve in the future.

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The models CP.AI is a new version of the YOLOv5 models, you can download the original DeepStack models from the below link. After downloading the models just replace the models. I am not sure why you are getting poor results with CP.AI.

Post screenshots of your main IA settings and one of your cameras AI settings

1696382639445.png

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@spazstic AI performance looks really bad from your screenshot, 1-15secs+.

Mine is usually < 0.05 secs (<50 msecs), I have Nvidia 1650

Some things that will improve AI performance:
#1: Turn off default object detection and use 1 of Mike's custom model(s) instead - they're included with CP.AI.
#2: Uncheck "Use main stream if available". CP.AI uses Deepstack models also and they're trained on small images. Assuming you have BI5 configured with cam substreams at D1, that is usually sufficient.
#3: Uncheck "Static object analysis". When you have this enabled, you're telling BI5 to send images to CP.AI at regular intervals like every 120 secs to process. This will cause unnecessary load on your PC if this is enabled for every camera. Depending what you are trying to accomplish per cam, this is usually not necessary.

Last edited:

spazstic

n3wb
Reaction score
@spazstic AI performance looks really bad from your screenshot, 1-15secs+.

Mine is usually < 0.05 secs (<50 msecs), I have Nvidia 1650

Some things that will improve AI performance:
#1: Turn off default object detection and use 1 of Mike's custom model(s) instead - they're included with CP.AI.
#2: Uncheck "Use main stream if available". CP.AI uses Deepstack models also and they're trained on small images. Assuming you have BI5 configured with cam substreams at D1, that is usually sufficient.
#3: Uncheck "Static object analysis". When you have this enabled, you're telling BI5 to send images to CP.AI at regular intervals like every 120 secs to process. This will cause unnecessary load on your PC if this is enabled for every camera. Depending what you are trying to accomplish per cam, this is usually not necessary.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm using CPU and it's an older CPU (i7 970). I think a system upgrade in the future is needed.
#1 - I see Mike's custom models here but you say they're included with CP.AI. Where do I get CP.AI? I thought that was YOLOv5 .NET / 6.2
#2 - I do have substreams configured.
#3 - I'd like BI to not alert for items like parked cars. I assumed this setting would prevent that from happening. I can remove it for some of the cameras however.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, why not? Let that overhead float on the camera side rather than the server.
His point is you have time coming from both the camera and from BI. Turn off the BI overlay. It may only be a fraction of CPU, but every little bit helps on an underperforming machine.

Plus since they don't match, should something happen that it were to go to court, the defendant attorney will have a field day discrediting the video, even if it is only a 3 second time difference. Or years in your case.

And who knows maybe the big @$$ BI time overlay is being perceived as motion and why you keep getting the camera triggered LOL. I have seen that happen on one of my cams so I excluded the time area from the Zone and it stopped the triggers.

Last edited:

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@spazstic Look at the screenshot here. Make sure you have same settings. The list of custom models available to you is right there as a popup.
AI.png

For each cam, set the custom model desired as shown. ipcam-general is good if you only need person/vehicle detection for both day and night. Look at other models for other objects. BTW, use higher confidence to eliminate false alarms. Again, CP.AI is using Deepstack models also so the quality of the predictions is driven by the model that you use.

AI3.png

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Plus since they don't match, should something happen that it were to go to court, the defendant attorney will have a field day discrediting the video, even if it is only a 3 second time difference.
LOL, I was looking at the 2000-06-06 date :idk: