Alarm and Audio in/out on cameras

mephisto_uk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've seen a few Dahua cameras like the IPC-PDW5849-A180-E2-ASTE aka IPC-Color4K-T180 stating alarm and audio in/out. I'm wondering what is the use case for these ports? It is to detect something and send a notification to an alarm system or the alarm system to trigger recording? What about Audio, is that for putting an external speaker and microphone?

Am I missing any other features?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most of the Dahua cameras come with bunch of extra cables on the pigtail. Usually one to add a mic, another a speaker, another for alarm systems or adding a PIR. Most of us don't use any of them LOL.

mephisto_uk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Would it be able to power a speaker or is it just the audio signal? I wonder if it could power a siren for example from the POE cable that is feeding the camera.

Would the PIR sensor for a camera have any other purpose than trigger recording?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to provide it power if you want to add a mic or speaker.

Some use PIR because they want to trigger for wildlife and the newer Dahua cameras have great AI for people and cars, but they don't trigger well for PIR.

Or someone has a PIR somewhere else out on the property and they want to use it to trigger the camera and have it recording before something is in view.