alarm wire from IPC-B5442E-Z4E

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Couple questions about this guy.

I have 5 skinny wires coming form the IPC-B5442E-Z4E. Where is the best place to find compatible devices that work with the Dahua cameras? I looked on the Dahua site but didn't see anything. I am looking for a siren and light, something that will generate sound and something I can see.

IMG_5564.JPG

Is this 20/5 thermostat wire? That is the only 5 wire cable I see on Monoprice. Would you use something like this to connect them together?

I assume this works as follows:
  1. wire this to the device receiving the alarm
  2. set tripwire in camera settings
  3. check relay
  4. alarm will trigger when tripwire is broken
Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 9.13.08 PM.png

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wasabi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
those are to power small relays making it NO>NC or NC>NO
2 channel In: 5mA 5V DC
1 channel Out: 300mA 12V DC

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Code:
ALARM_OUT - outputs signal to alarm device
ALARM_OUT_GND - ground
ALARM_IN1 - receive signal from alarm device (I'm not using a device to create alarm)
ALARM_IN2 - receive signal from alarm device (I'm not using a device to create alarm)
ALARMIN_IN_GND - ground
Looks like I only need 2 of the wires,

Code:
ALARM_OUT - outputs signal to alarm device
ALARM_OUT_GND - ground
I've got a strobe, operating at 12V/200mA and a siren operating at 12V/500mA which will need external power since the camera only provides 300mA.

1. Would 18/2 shielded work for this?
2. TonyR mentioned a relay in an old post that you guys typically use but didn't reference the relay. What is the recommended relay to use with the Dahua cams?
3. what is the best way to splice 18 and 22 together? trying to strip 22 is going to be a pain.

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think you have misunderstood wasabi’s helpful reply. I don’t use my alarm out but I think it is only the contact (physical relay or semiconductor). “300mA” will be the rating of the contact, the camera does not deliver any power to the external device.

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
According the Dahua, the camera provides 12V and 300mA. If I have a 300mA/12V siren, directly connecting to the camera should work, correct?

Screen Shot 2021-12-29 at 3.41.20 PM.png

Should I be connecting these wires to the NVR or wiring directly to the camera?

It's a Dahua NVR NVR608-32-4KS2 and the camera is IPC-B5442E-Z4E

JesseSR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
According the Dahua, the camera provides 12V and 300mA. If I have a 300mA/12V siren, directly connecting to the camera should work, correct?

View attachment 113815

Should I be connecting these wires to the NVR or wiring directly to the camera?

It's a Dahua NVR NVR608-32-4KS2 and the camera is IPC-B5442E-Z4E
Just a quick, your NVR model should have 8 alarm outs on it as well. Meaning, you wouldn't even necessarily need to use the alarm outs on your cameras, you could instead use the ones on the NVR. it can save you cabling costs/installs since you wouldn't have to run dual ethernet cables to your cams just to use the alarm outs on them. You'd instead go into the NVR settings for AI properties and select each camera channel (make sure the dropdown box is set for AI by Camera, not AI by Recorder/NVR , and tie the IVS event to alarm out 1-8. You don't have to do it this way but, it can be more convenient, depending on how you are using the alarm outs.

EDIT: I should have been more clear, not everyone would need to run extra cabling to their cameras just to use the alarm outs on the cameras themselves, but in my case, it would mean doing so because all the things i wanted to be triggered as a result of the alarm out, weren't physically close to the cameras and instead were all back INSIDE the building tied to an automation processor. and since the automation processor unit was fairly close to my NVR, it was way easier and cheaper to just use the alarm outs in the NVR instead of the cams.

Last edited:

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey Jesse, thanks for the reply. Very helpful. I looked at this after your suggestion. software Interface looks pretty much the same between the camera and NVR.

As afar as physical wiring, I assume I would not need a relay if using the NVR since it already has NO, COM, etc.

JesseSR

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
One of the other benefits of using the NVRs alarm out relays is, maybe you want multiple cameras to all have 1 specific thing to be triggered from each of those cameras IVS events (like for example, you want all 5 cameras to trigger this big giant alarm light or some kind of audible alarm system) , you can easily tie that alarm device to alarm output #1 of the NVR, and have all 5 cameras use it. Rather than wiring all 5 of the cameras for it.

Once you get that device hooked up to alarm output #1 of the NVR, you can manually -test- it too (without needing to setup your cameras) by going here in the NVR settings and selecting alarm output #1 and set it to Manual and click SAVE (it should be on the bottom right, but it's not in my screenshot), and then the relay should trigger.

1640908419456.png

amrogers3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This seems a lot easier than buying a relay and connecting that up.

So wiring would go something like this?

IMG_5574.JPG