Alarms/Errors

artamous75

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm new to Blue Iris, and shortly after setting things up, I'm getting the following !! C: -2.19T at the bottom of the screen (see attached). I'm guessing that it's related to the Clips error shown in the status attachment.
Does anyone have an idea as to how to correct this?

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You've over allocated space to BI on your C: drive. Post a screen shot of the storage tab and screen shots of you storage allocation from the configuration page.

Best practice is to write once rather than move files from drive to drive, IE new on C: to stored on D;. Just write everything to new on D: to reduce CPU utilization moving files needlessly. Also you need to leave 5-10% of free space on a drive for BI to work with as file sizes shrink and grow. If you have a net of 7TB on a drive, leave at east 35GB of unused space.

artamous75

n3wb
Reaction score
Here are the screenshots of the setup. I'm using a 6TB HDD as one big partition. So it sounds like I will want to create a new partition D:??
Do you have a recommended setup? It's all new so not a big issue to modify the setup.

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Your C: drive has a net space of 5.5TB. You're allocating 4.5TB to stored and another 10GB to new for a total of 4.510TB. That leaves roughly 1GB for everything else. Throw in Windows OS and anything else on there and you're allocating more space than the drive has.

The screen shot I'm looking for is from the console, click the lightning bolt graph on the upper left, then click on the disk tab. That will show you exactly where you're going wrong. Post a shot of that.

Again moving from new to stored is totally unnecessary and just wastes disk time and CPU utilization. Look in the help file from the file allocation page and read the information there. This is, basically, all covered there. Read and follow SouthernYankees comments as well. Very solid advice. Most folks here use an M2 or SSD drive in the 500GB range for the OS/boot drive and a separate drive for video storage.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^ re: SSD
I have a 500GB Samsung EVO 870 SSD for Windows 10, BI and BI's "db" folder; video clips to 4TB WD Purple (surveillance-rated) HDD.
If you go that route, do a fresh install of Win 10 on the SSD using the MS Media Creation Tool, put on a good flash drive, it'll install in about 15 minutes.

artamous75

n3wb
Reaction score
Your C: drive has a net space of 5.5TB. You're allocating 4.5TB to stored and another 10GB to new for a total of 4.510TB. That leaves roughly 1GB for everything else. Throw in Windows OS and anything else on there and you're allocating more space than the drive has.

The screen shot I'm looking for is from the console, click the lightning bolt graph on the upper left, then click on the disk tab. That will show you exactly where you're going wrong. Post a shot of that.

Again moving from new to stored is totally unnecessary and just wastes disk time and CPU utilization. Look in the help file from the file allocation page and read the information there. This is, basically, all covered there. Read and follow SouthernYankees comments as well. Very solid advice. Most folks here use an M2 or SSD drive in the 500GB range for the OS/boot drive and a separate drive for video storage.
Im guessing this is the screenshot you are asking for.

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeas, that's the one and it makes no sense at all. It shows no other files on the C: drive. If C: is your boot/OS drive, as is the normal case, it should show some other files.

What is the full configuration of the machine? Processor model, not just type. Disks installed. Memory. Is it a virtual box?

artamous75

n3wb
Reaction score
Not a virtual.

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.41 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Toshiba 6TB HDD

The only software on this computer is Win10 and Blue Iris. All is on a single partition C:\

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Still doesn't make sense since the OS is on that same drive. What's really puzzling is the lack of those files showing in BI and BI saying the drive size is "unknown". Maybe somebody else has an idea.

Have you tried reducing the size of "stored" at all to see if the warning goes away?

artamous75

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I had to reduce it from the previous 5TB down to 2.1 and that corrected the alert. Bad thing is that I'm not taking advantage of the full 6TB drive for BI... Maybe the drive is too large? or it doesn't understand NTFS partitions?

At this point, I'm thinking of just rebuilding it with a 250 GB SSD and using the 6TB drive as the primary storage for the clips.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had a similar issue and in my case it was the drive holding onto restore points. They do not show in the usual places when looking at why your drive is over-allocating. It is trying to account for all the storage that is going to happen.

So go here and drop the max usage way down and delete the restore points. I suspect what you will see is current usage is taking a lot. In my case, it was half the available capacity.

1636066702669.png

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you do a clean windows before installing BI ?

Set the stored folder to zero size.
Set the new folder to 4000. Also set the new to delete.
Reboot the PC.

Provide all the screen shots you provide previously.

artamous75

n3wb
Reaction score

Reboot the PC.

Yes this was a clean install, and the only change was to the stored size, I increased it to 5TB at the time. Now its set to 2.1

artamous75

n3wb
Reaction score
I had a similar issue and in my case it was the drive holding onto restore points. They do not show in the usual places when looking at why your drive is over-allocating. It is trying to account for all the storage that is going to happen.

So go here and drop the max usage way down and delete the restore points. I suspect what you will see is current usage is taking a lot. In my case, it was half the available capacity.

View attachment 107353
This is what mine looks like.

Attachments

artamous75

n3wb
Reaction score

Reboot the PC.

on the stored folder should i change the clip age to something other than 31?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well bummer I was hoping that was it.

Maybe stop BI, delete the DB folder, and let it rebuild? Maybe something is wonky in the DB.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Normal practice is to just set size and let BI handle if and when to delete. All of mie are set to size only and it works fine.