Alert constipation

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Installed a BI system several months ago and homeowner had some work done today. 4 workers moving around in the view of 4 cameras, and he said his phone was sounding something like a xylophone concert. The BI app listed 530+ alert messages at one point. He "cleared all messages" but the notifications kept sounding, and appearing at the top of the iPhone screen yet BI app was not showing/listing any new alerts, despite the notifications.

Closer review of the iOS notifications still coming in, and their time stamps were 2:10pm. The current time was 4:15p, so the notifications coming in were about 2 hours old. I surmise that his cel provider was simply inundated with notifications and it was simply taking some time for them all to be processed and ultimately end up at his phone. I shut off notifications/alerts for the BI app, he'll re-enable every hour or so to determine if the backlog is gone.

Workers are coming back tomorrow, so I showed him how to pause the cameras via the BI app to prevent a repeat of today. I am still curious as to why after clearing the alerts, as more notifications came in, they did not show-up in the BI app. Could it be that his alert clearing action at 3pm in the BI app prevented any delayed (pre-3pm) notifications from registering in the app?

Any other better practices to adopt in similar situations?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like a perfect storm of events.

It certainly sounds like the clearing the alerts removed them from the app, but the sound notifications continued.

Problem with pausing the cameras is they won't record, so something could happen that would be of interest. Best thing to do is to create a profile that has all the alerts turned off and then you simply switch to that profile.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
So I've been trying to set up a profile that allows recording when triggered, but without alerts. Not having good results.
  • Logged in to BI at the server, switch to profile 3
  • Right click camera, choose camera settings
  • Select trigger tab, deselect 'sync with profile 1'
  • Under 'when triggered' area, click 'immediate actions'
  • Disable the line item that is the push notification for the trigger (see screen shot)
    • 1640829247662.png
  • Click 'ok' to all the open boxes saving the settings and returning to the BI interface looking at all the live feeds.
  • Change back to profile 1 & review the settings modified above, only to see the push notification still disabled
While in profile 3, I also tried deselecting the global 'enabled' option that affects all items listed in the action set window. It also remains deselected when I switch back to profile 1

Any insight is appreciated

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So I've been trying to set up a profile that allows recording when triggered, but without alerts. Not having good results.
  • Logged in to BI at the server, switch to profile 3
  • Right click camera, choose camera settings
  • Select trigger tab, deselect 'sync with profile 1'
  • Under 'when triggered' area, click 'immediate actions'
  • Disable the line item that is the push notification for the trigger (see screen shot)
  • Click 'ok' to all the open boxes saving the settings and returning to the BI interface looking at all the live feeds.
  • Change back to profile 1 & review the settings modified above, only to see the push notification still disabled
While in profile 3, I also tried deselecting the global 'enabled' option that affects all items listed in the action set window. It also remains deselected when I switch back to profile 1

Any insight is appreciated
Read the help file. You are missing basic concepts on how alerts and profiles work. You dont select the profile in BI and then change your alert settings. You simply go to the alert you want to modify, click on it and on the top left it will allow you to deselect the profile during which you dont want the alert fired. That profile will then be grayed out in the profile column in the image you posted above.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks @fenderman, that was helpful. When @wittaj mentioned creating a profile that has notifications disabled, I read the alerts, push notifications and profile sections of the manual several times before trying to edit a profile. I still have yet to come across the reference in the manual that describes clicking on the profile numbers (themselves) to toggle them on/off for the respective alert/notification, etc.

It was actually in the video tutorials section here on IPCT that has one about 'working with profiles' that lead me to changing the profile, then making changes under camera settings as noted above. In hindsight, the video is just over 4 years old now, No doubt there's been "a few" changes as the BI version number(s) have increased.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, that was my intent, was to simply use an unused profile and maybe name it no alerts and then in the alert for each camera, just deselect that profile so it is greyed out.