Alert on Mask but record on a different mask or no mask at all?

jeremyw

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it is possible in BI to just get email alerts on a small area of the image but at the same time make sure that any motion will still record to hard disk?

Scenario:
I have my camera pointing at my driveway. I want to get an alert if any motion breaks the mask I setup around my vehicles. I do not want to get an alert every time a car drives by on the street. However, if anything were to ever happen I would like to go back in time and see what cars were in the vicinity from the hard drive video. Is this possible?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it is possible in BI to just get email alerts on a small area of the image but at the same time make sure that any motion will still record to hard disk?

Scenario:
I have my camera pointing at my driveway. I want to get an alert if any motion breaks the mask I setup around my vehicles. I do not want to get an alert every time a car drives by on the street. However, if anything were to ever happen I would like to go back in time and see what cars were in the vicinity from the hard drive video. Is this possible?
Welcome to the forum..you can accomplish this by setting up a cloned camera in blue iris and only use it for alerts...make it hidden so you dont see duplicates on the screen.

jeremyw

n3wb
Reaction score
Great! I knew there had to be a way to do this. So just simple add a camera with duplicate settings but configure it for the alerts? My CPU is already taxed pretty hard. Does hiding it help with this at all or am I going to overload it?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Great! I knew there had to be a way to do this. So just simple add a camera with duplicate settings but configure it for the alerts? My CPU is already taxed pretty hard. Does hiding it help with this at all or am I going to overload it?
Yes, but dont set the duplicate to record...just alerts..remove the masks from your recording camera...this way everything will be recorded but you limit your alerts...
blue iris will only pull a single stream, so it doesnt tax the cpu much if at all..hiding helps having duplicate cameras on the screen which looks silly :)
Simply hide the camera then uncheck show hidden cameras..

jeremyw

n3wb
Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks for the quick reply. I'll give this a shot tomorrow! Any quick way to clone a camera? Or just add new is the easiest?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks for the quick reply. I'll give this a shot tomorrow! Any quick way to clone a camera? Or just add new is the easiest?
Export it, then import it, you will have to change the camera name before it lets you save...then make changes to prevent recording/masks etc..

devastator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Being able to do it with 1 cam (so no duplication) would be a huge plus !
Especially because the (hidden) duplicated cams still show up in the mobile app :-(

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Being able to do it with 1 cam (so no duplication) would be a huge plus !
Especially because the (hidden) duplicated cams still show up in the mobile app :-(
I once asked ken about removing the hidden cam from the mobile but i guess he never got around to it...have you emailed support? The more folks that ask for a feature the quicker it is implemented.

devastator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yep, it was the first mail I've sent to him after using BlueIris for like 1 week. That's been a few months already ...