Alert texts/pushover messages working when using test function but not in actual production

rjp001

n3wb
Reaction score
I am not receiving alert notifications from either text or the pushover app however when testing using the lightning bolt icon the texts and alerts are sent correctly and are rcvd almost immediately (witin 10 seconds of sending test alert), see below. I prefer to have texts sent to my phone versus the pushover app but will consider the latter as an alternative if forced into it but will need to understand why the texts arent working. Thanks.

1690999681289.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last I checked this is a volunteer forum and sometimes it may take a day or so for someone to see the question and know a possible solution.

Saying that you are keeping the solution to yourself is a prick move likely to not get any help here in the future...

But since you are asking and think you found the solution, I can tell you that you probably haven't...

Lot's of threads on this if you did a search. It is more than likely an issue with your mobile provider.

BI doesn't actually send an SMS. It uses your email to send an SMS text message to you.

As long as the BI log file shows that the email was sent out, it is not a BI issue.

I also suspect that if you look in your email server sent folder, it will show that it sent the SMS message, but since you didn't get the SMS confirms it is not a BI issue.

More than likely, your mobile provider has implemented some sort of spam filter that blocks "auto generated" SMS messages. However, when you push the TEST option, that is a human generated email/text and the mobile provider has some sort of algorithm and analysis that can tell the difference between the TEST that you as a person pushed and an automated alert text.

Sometimes people here calling their mobile provider and complaining magically fixes it. Others have gone to another option like purchasing the BI mobile app and going to push notifications instead, or using another app like pushover as SMS has been getting problematic for some people.

Some have changed their email provider - that helps for awhile, but then it returns.

Sometimes my SMS is fairly instant, and other times it may take days to get it.

So if you are using text messages, at some point it will fail you due to the spam algorithm. Maybe it stops for a few days and returns, or maybe it stops all-together...

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
@rjp001, you joined Sept. '22, had a question and got a lot of suggestions and help on the same day. No posts since then until this one.

This time you ask a question and get your ass up on your shoulders because you didn't receive a reply within 24 hours? :confused:

Last edited: