alert triggers like with BI??

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
K folks, since a bunch of my neighbors see my cams, now they all want systems also. Since they're older and not computer savvy they want nvr's. What they do want is alerts on their phones like I get but I'm using BI. Can they get similar alerts if I install Hikvision cams with an LTS 8 channel poe NVR?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As you point out an NVR is the best chose for non techies...yes you will be able to get alerts ...One of the primary benefits to blue iris motion detection (in my opinion) is the ability to have a different threshold for alerts vs recording so you can set the recording threshold low so you dont miss anything but alerts high so you get notified most of the time...one option you have is to get the camera models that allow for alarm in and hook up a pir sensor (you will need additional power) or magnetic sensors to avoid this problem...another though is, although I haven't messed with the motion detection on the hiks in a while, you should be able to use the motion detection for recording and the intrusion detection and/or line crossing for more reliable alerts...dont know...

milkisbad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You will actually get alot of false trigger if you just use motion detection alerts, but the new intrusion detection alerts works fairly well.

Like Fenderman says, PIR and cameras with alarm-input would be most accurate.

i will check if the cameras itself can send out emails even if they are connected to a built-in POE switch. maybe just flash all the cameras to 5.2 then use intrusion detection even with a NVR and built-in POE.

if not get a POE-less NVR with external POE switch (it'll cost a bit more though)

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks Frankie. What do you mean by the new intrusion detection alert? I have all my cams setup thru BI so that depending on which one detects motion I get the alert with the sound that I've selected for that camera.