Alerts Folder Size Allocation?

CaseyJones

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Need some help understanding "Alerts". Alert files are the video files captured when the camera is triggered, i.e. from motion correct?

Right now I only have one physical camera plugged in. I have two cameras setup in BI (both from the same physical camera). One of the (virtual) cameras in BI is pulling both the Main Stream and Sub Stream, and is set to record "When Triggered" on motion. This should accomplish my goal of recoding the full mainstream (in this case 4K) only when triggered by motion. Under Folder I have this camera set to "New". The second (virtual) camera is setup only to pull the Sub Stream and is set to record "Continuous" and is also set to Folder "New".

Under "Clips and Archiving" I have "New" allocated 5.5 TB of a 8TB HDD, and "Alerts" allocated 1TB. I did it this way because I wasn't sure what, if anything, was being saved to the "Alerts" folder. Since I have the "When Triggered" camera folder set to "New" is anything being saved in the "Alerts" folder? When I look at it File Explorer there is nothing in the "Alerts" Folder. All the files are in the "New" Folder. But I also see a lot more alerts in BI than I do files in File Explorer. The alerts for the "When Triggered" cam are still showing up in BI under the "Alerts tab".

I'd like to keep both cameras saving to "New" and increase the allocation of "New" to the whole 6.5TB and decrease the "Alerts" allocation to zero. I'd like to set it up this way because my motion triggered files are going to be large files since they are full res 4K and at this point I'm not really sure how much HDD space is going to be used up by the motion triggered video and the continuous video respectively. Once I have the system complete I can tinker around and set it up so the motion triggered footage gets priority over the continuous if I want. Right now I'd rather BI just fill the drive before overwriting either and I'm assuming this is the best way to do that, and that I can't allocate both "New" and "Alerts" for the full drive or it'll give the over allocation warning.

If the camera is set to a folder other than "Alerts" is anything (Including the motion triggered video) getting saved to the Alerts folder? Am I understanding Alerts and the use of the "Alerts Folder" and allocation correctly? Or is there some other purpose or hidden files/data being saved into the folder that I'm not aware of?

Any suggestions, recommendations for getting started, examples of how you have your allocations setup? Thanks!

CaseyJones

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@samplenhold thanks! I knew I had a misunderstanding. I watched the tutorial videos in the Wiki, but Pt 1. of "Clips And Archiving" is a dead link and missing on YouTube. Where did you pull the image from?