Alerts vs Clips?

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So Fenderman was helpful to help view my 4 cameras, but only record 2 of them. And it works. The clips section only shows recording on motion based on those two cameras - perfect.

That said I set up the mobile application and it has "alerts". All 4 cameras show alerts. I only want the two outdoor cameras recording. The Alerts seem like they are recordings too. Can you "disable" alerts from only certain cameras?

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, goto Camera Properties/Alerts and change the Fire when: to Never

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, goto Camera Properties/Alerts and change the Fire when: to Never
Thanks! Any reason why someone would want alerts and just in general how alerts can be used differently than clips?

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry, I read your question wrong. Blue Iris is setting those alerts in the mobile app based on motion/trigger events. To turn these off you have to again goto Camera Properties/Motion/Trigger and uncheck Enable under Motion sensor.

The term clip in BI is used to refer to a movie file. Alerts are when the camera is triggered based on an event defined by the Motion/Trigger of each camera. Think of it this way, an Alert is a marker in time of your recordings (clip) that take you directly to the action you have indicated to the system you are interested in by defining a motion/trigger event. It is simply a bookmark so to speak.

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry, I read your question wrong. Blue Iris is setting those alerts in the mobile app based on motion/trigger events. To turn these off you have to again goto Camera Properties/Motion/Trigger and uncheck Enable under Motion sensor.

The term clip in BI is used to refer to a movie file. Alerts are when the camera is triggered based on an event defined by the Motion/Trigger of each camera. Think of it this way, an Alert is a marker in time of your recordings (clip) that take you directly to the action you have indicated to the system you are interested in by defining a motion/trigger event. It is simply a bookmark so to speak.
Alerts could be overkill, I could turn them off following your steps but still keep the cameras recording on motion and saving clips based on motion, correct? If I decide to keep alerts, can you keep them running on some but not all cameras? I have 4 cameras, 2 record based on motion, 2 are just there as monitors (no recording for now). Can I do alerts for the two recording and turn off alerts on the other two?

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It sounds to me like you want the 2 cameras outside to record, but only on motion. Then you have another 2 cameras that you don't want to do anything at all except be there for when you want to view them (remotely I presume). If you are simply looking to disable recording from the 2 that are monitors, then do as I said above and stop them from recording in Camera Properties/Motion/Trigger and uncheck Enable under Motion sensor. If on the other hand you want these 2 cameras that are monitors to record on motion and just not post "alerts" to the mobile app, then you have to go into Camera Properties/Record and uncheck Create an alert image when triggered option.

Each camera can be configured to do these things separately as you use the Camera Properties to configure this. So yes, you can have some cameras that create the "alert" for the mobile app, while others do not.

Edit: Keep in mind that the only way to view recorded events on the mobile that I am aware of is if an "alert" is created for the event. Otherwise you are left to only view live feeds from your cams.

eggzlot

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It sounds to me like you want the 2 cameras outside to record, but only on motion. Then you have another 2 cameras that you don't want to do anything at all except be there for when you want to view them (remotely I presume). If you are simply looking to disable recording from the 2 that are monitors, then do as I said above and stop them from recording in Camera Properties/Motion/Trigger and uncheck Enable under Motion sensor. If on the other hand you want these 2 cameras that are monitors to record on motion and just not post "alerts" to the mobile app, then you have to go into Camera Properties/Record and uncheck Create an alert image when triggered option.

Each camera can be configured to do these things separately as you use the Camera Properties to configure this. So yes, you can have some cameras that create the "alert" for the mobile app, while others do not.

Edit: Keep in mind that the only way to view recorded events on the mobile that I am aware of is if an "alert" is created for the event. Otherwise you are left to only view live feeds from your cams.
Works like a charm - great support here on the forums. Thanks!