Alexa/Google Home integration

Soulmining

n3wb
Reaction score
Did a search, but did not find anything. Has anyone been able to get IVS (or motion) event trigger to Alexa? Would like to have IVS turn on lights, etc. Thanks.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
You didn't mention if using BI or an NVR.

On my NVR, I use one of the "Alarm Out" relay contacts. I have it wired, 6" away, to a wireless door sensor that's on Zigbee, Z Wave or WiFi. (I forget the rf protocol right now.)
Note: This door sensor approach is a common way for people to signal an event to Alexa (or SmartThings, etc)

Instead of using the door sensor's built-in reed switch, it's using the signal from its "external input" contacts providedon the door sensor.
So: Alexa sees the door sensor open & close with the NVR Alarm Out signal to the door sensor.

Conclusion: Use IVS to trigger an "Alarm Event" which toggles an the "Alarm Out" relay. Connect that to a door sensor that talsk with Alexa/Google

BTW, I use the same approach on our house doors. They're all wired to the alarm panel. I use the above door sensor to signal to Alexa that 1 of my 5 doors has opened/closed. This works since for the alarm, all door reed switches are in series. So I have one sensor & Alexa to monitor all 5 doors.

Soulmining

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm using Synology Surveillance Station.

Thank you for your idea, although I dont think it will work in my case. I was really hoping for a software solution. I also have SmartThings and IFTT, but neither talk Dahua or Synology, unfortunately.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
I also have SmartThings and IFTT, but neither talk Dahua or Synology, unfortunately.
Therein lies the rub.
Using a door sensor on the NVR Alarm Out is a hack. Effective, but hackey. Having Alexa announce "Driveway Guest!" is worth it. And Alexa knows if I'm home (due to my cell phone's location tracking). Alexa responds accordingly (like pushing an alert to my phone)

Soulmining

n3wb
Reaction score
But wouldnt it be simplier to just use a Smartthing motion sensor talking to Alexa? That's what I have now for the guest announcement. Or maybe you need the IVS functions specifically? I was actually hoping to eliminate my front door Smartting motion sensor and use the camera's sensor instead.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
But wouldn't it be simpler to just use a Smartthing motion sensor talking to Alexa? That's what I have now for the guest announcement.
If I understand your question, a few thoughts.
1) I have two smartthings Motion Detectors. For indoors, they're fine.
2) for outdoors, IVS is superior to MD.

The challenge in my mind was: The NVR must inform Alexa/Google of an IVS event (not an MD event).

I was actually hoping to eliminate my front door Smartting motion sensor and use the camera's sensor instead.
Ah, I understand better!
Use the cam to replace an MD sensor.
I know of no method for an NVR or camera to talk with a home automation hub like Alexa.
Which is why I created the Rube Goldberg hack I described initially....

Fastb

Soulmining

n3wb
Reaction score
Success finally!!

So I kept digging and it turns out Synology Surveillance Station can have 'Action Rule" triggered by IVS, and these Action rules can send events to Webhooks, which in turn can control SmartThings via IFTTT!

After playing with it a bit, I've now got IVS triggering my SmartThings front lights. Seems to stable and fast despite all the hops. I haven't figured out how to get Alexa make annoucements yet. But hopefully, its there somewhere and I will update this thread once I figure it out.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds like good news! A bit convoluted (as mine hack is), but it works.
If smartthings recognizes the event from IFTTT, and is turning on the light, maybe Alexa could recognize the same event. And then fire off a routine that includes Alexa making an announcement.

Good luck!
Fastb

Soulmining

n3wb
Reaction score
The problem is I found out Alexa routines cannot not trigger off SmartThing switches and lights, only off sensors.

So after experimenting, what I ended up doing is creating a Virtual Door Lock on SmartThings. The IVS events will trigger Webhooks to lock this Virtual Lock via IFTTT. Then I created an Alexa routine to make the annoucement whenever the Virtual door lock is locked. So now I have IVS turn on the lights and Alexa make an annoucement. I also have a Webhooks routine to unlock this Virtual Lock after 1 minute.

Whew......hope someone will find this thread useful in Alexa integration with the cameras, and Synology.