All wireless foscams dropping off network daily

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also foscam is shit, so there's that, lol.
Most foscams are yes, but their is still one model I do like !!

Amcrest ProHD 1080P WiFi Wireless IP Security Camera - 1080P (1920TVL), IP2M-841 (White) Amazon.com : Amcrest ProHD 1080P WiFi Wireless IP Security Camera - 1080P (1920TVL), IP2M-841 (White) : Camera & Photo

Ok I just lied to you .. not really foscam but same crap still I would put these in door Some where.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Larry Ray

n3wb
Reaction score
traffic from your cameras to your recorder, or from your clients to the recorder over the local network should not traverse the internet.. typically you'll only use internet data when your viewing your cameras over the internet remotely while away from the house..

however thats not always the case; cameras line NestCam and stuff that use cloud storage will chew up your monthly data limits because the recorder is internet based... IIRC NestCam wont let you record locally w/software like BlueIris without downloading it back off the internet.. so you end up using 2x data in those cases..

If your on a metered internet connection; its highly suggested you avoid using any cloud based services; video surveillance or anything else, cause when you run out of data the apps all stop working or your paying out the ass for em.
Thanks for your time and reply Nayr. I don't record video just stream it to my pc and image view it from my iphone a little. View it live when I am on my pc.
I looked on my ethernet broadband data usage and on this computer it showed I had used 935 Gb of date in 30 days just on this ethernet pc. That number may not be accurate.
I was wondering if I went to uVerse and went over the 1 TB data limit how much more it would cost me a month.

rnatalli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Using WiFi for cameras in my experience is terrible, but I have gotten them to work using 9dBi antennas.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh yeah link above, don't buy the wifi one get the POE one always !!

Larry Ray

n3wb
Reaction score
Bet that looks silly.
I want to install a couple of POE cams in the near future. But don't have some of the details how to do it, thus I have been reading on the forums and asking a couple of people about what I need and how to set the wiring up. Remember I am a senior-senior and what is simple to most of you isn't so easy for me. But I think it would be fun to learn how to set up a POE cam and give me something to help keep me busy.

I only have one free port on my Router. Would I need to add an ethernet switch to the router creating extra ports, and then a POE switch in front of the ethernet switch?
I have been searching on-line and on YouTube for such a diagram. Could someone send me a sketch of such a POE setup or some links that I could study to set up a POE cam or two?

I hope no one takes offense that I have asked more than one person about how to do POE. Thank all of you again for your replies.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Larry. To add POE cameras to what you have, you would need to purchase a POE capable switch.
Such as this: Amazon.com: TP-Link 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE Rackmount Switch with 8-PoE+ Ports (TL-SG1008PE): Computers & Accessories
This switch would provide enough power, that if you wanted to add a PTZ camera, this can handle it.

As far as hooking it all up, you would take one ethernet cable, plug it into one port on the new switch.
Then plug the other end into your router port that you have empty. That gets the switch and the router talking to each other.

Then when you install cameras that are POE powered, you would plug the ethernet cable into the camera, then the other end of that cable would plug into the new switch.

Thats pretty much it. The switch provides the power to the cam, and allows you to connect to the cam with your Viewing device.

Larry Ray

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Larry. To add POE cameras to what you have, you would need to purchase a POE capable switch.
Such as this: Amazon.com: TP-Link 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE Rackmount Switch with 8-PoE+ Ports (TL-SG1008PE): Computers & Accessories
This switch would provide enough power, that if you wanted to add a PTZ camera, this can handle it.

As far as hooking it all up, you would take one ethernet cable, plug it into one port on the new switch.
Then plug the other end into your router port that you have empty. That gets the switch and the router talking to each other.

Then when you install cameras that are POE powered, you would plug the ethernet cable into the camera, then the other end of that cable would plug into the new switch.

Thats pretty much it. The switch provides the power to the cam, and allows you to connect to the cam with your Viewing device.
Man, you did good Looney2ns! That makes sense even to my old brain. Thanks a bunch for the info. You guys are great here at the forum.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
we did...wifi sucks for cameras, super simple experiment, wire ONE of the foscams to a switch, leave the rest alone, see if it has any issues, if no issues, wireless is to blame.
I agree with @hmjgriffon test idea. Pick the worst offender and temporarily hard wire it to the switch for a few days. I would like to hear the result of that test. I suspect it will fix the issue. i had nothing but trouble with the one i played with a couple of years ago until i wired mine.

On the other hand, i suspect that WiFi connected cameras get an undue bad rap. I think the majority of them are crap cameras with 3dbi omnidirectional antennas through 3 or more walls/floors to the WiFi router. If they were quality cameras with higher gain omnis or better yet directional >9dbi antennas to APs within 60 ft line of site (no walls) of the routers, i think we would be singing a different tune. What might be nice is if technology moved forward a bit and enabled a market of $30 low power APs that played well as a mesh, so we could all buy 10-15 of them all over our houses, giving us far better coverage with far less noise in the 2.4GHZ spectrum between neighbors.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Man, you did good Looney2ns! That makes sense even to my old brain. Thanks a bunch for the info. You guys are great here at the forum.
I forgot to add, if need to, you can place the switch anywhere that is more convenient to hook up the cam wires. Then just run one ethernet cable back to the router. In other words, the switch does not need to be close to the router. Gives you some flexibility.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree with @hmjgriffon test idea. Pick the worst offender and temporarily hard wire it to the switch for a few days. I would like to hear the result of that test. I suspect it will fix the issue. i had nothing but trouble with the one i played with a couple of years ago until i wired mine.

On the other hand, i suspect that WiFi connected cameras get an undue bad rap. I think the majority of them are crap cameras with 3dbi omnidirectional antennas through 3 or more walls/floors to the WiFi router. If they were quality cameras with higher gain omnis or better yet directional >9dbi antennas to APs within 60 ft line of site (no walls) of the routers, i think we would be singing a different tune. What might be nice is if technology moved forward a bit and enabled a market of $30 low power APs that played well as a mesh, so we could all buy 10-15 of them all over our houses, giving us far better coverage with far less noise in the 2.4GHZ spectrum between neighbors.
Sure, you might be able to make them work great, but the cost of APs, cameras with enough transmit/receive power, etc etc, doubt it would be worth it when you can just run a network cable, unless you've got some really special circumstances. I run a wifi camera in one room right now, not too far from an AP, it is fairly stable but after using it I don't plan to get anymore unless I really need one for something. They do have their uses though.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sure, you might be able to make them work great, but the cost of APs, cameras with enough transmit/receive power, etc etc, doubt it would be worth it when you can just run a network cable, unless you've got some really special circumstances. I run a wifi camera in one room right now, not too far from an AP, it is fairly stable but after using it I don't plan to get anymore unless I really need one for something. They do have their uses though.
I have a wireless foscam I'm not using it for security but just to check my home automation and make sure the lights turned off ect.. anyhow all I see in BI is no signal 5 or 10 a day.. lol I have a good network wireless just won't work with cameras

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a wireless foscam I'm not using it for security but just to check my home automation and make sure the lights turned off ect.. anyhow all I see in BI is no signal 5 or 10 a day.. lol I have a good network wireless just won't work with cameras
my first two cams were foscrap pan tilts, one was in the same room like 10' line of site from the damn wireless router and would lose signal and end up pointed at the ceiling, they are crap all around. the hikvision cube actually works pretty well, it never loses connection, I wouldn't wanna have 10 of them on my wifi though. I miss the PIR, it decided to stop working yesterday for some odd reason. Funny thing is the little red alarm light is always on, has been since I got it, but it was working, so its hard to troubleshoot lol.