ALPR for home street - need advice to choose the right NVR

urosbe

n3wb
Reaction score
I live in a small village that was pretty unknown to the folks until new houses were built. New buildings seems to be also attractive to thefts, because they have already broke into one of them just a month ago and it is not so rare any more to see unknown vehicle looking around at houses at night time or during the day when people are at work. Since only one road leads you to the village and I live at the very start of the street, I have an idea to set up a solution with ALPR detecting all vehicles approaching in exiting the street. Neighbours are also excited about idea.

As a web software developer I have an idea to implement a simple responsive web app (that only invited people will have access to) that you can easily access with shortcut on mobile phone or bookmark at desktop computer. Website would show me feed with info regarding vehicles that arrived or left our street by timeline. Something similar that you can see in Netatmo mobile apps for their security cameras, but more specific regarding vehicles, because only cars with unknown licence plates would appear on the list (for example: Honda Civic silver XY 1234 approached: 11:29, Honda Civic silver XY 1234 exited: 11:31, ...):
netatmo.png

App would also have an option to flag unknown vehicles as known (when some friends or parents visits someone), so we can have pretty accurate whitelist/blacklist ready within few months. In case some strange vehicle is detected, app could send push notifications to all the neighbours phones that would like to be notified.

Idea is to buy NVR with AI integrated (Dahua NVR4216-I AI or similar) that would allow me to recognize vehicles (and maybe also persons in the future) and catch it’s picture (probably as snapshot). I can mount camera at the correct angle, just beside the street (3-5m max distance from the camera to the vehicle licence plate). Regarding camera I was thinking something with 8MP, Starlight chip and motorized angle (112°~ 46°, so I can zoom in to licence plate). When NVR would trigger event as vehicle detection, snapshots would be automatically transfered to FTP where my app would catch it, upload it to OpenALPR (OpenALPR - Automatic License Plate Recognition for Security and Automation or similar) to recognize the car model in licence plates and flag result to known/unknown car (whitelist/blacklist).

I know that Dahua has cameras with ALPR integrated but they are pretty expensive and I would also like to have own solution displaying the results that all the neighbours would have simple access, and not be limited by Dahua software.

With AI NVR I can also upgrade idea with people recognition. Does NVR offers such events that would be able to upload snapshot to ftp when vehicle/face is detected?
If I have the right info I have to look for NVR models that have “I” letter in model name, so it can detect vehicles/faces with any Dahua camera and I am not limited to those models that offers face detect also from camera itself?

I appreciate for any feedback or doubts regarding my idea.