alternative to dahua NVR

buckfast

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi

I have a Dahua NVR with two Dahua cameras. I do not like the interface of the Dahua NVR. I also find it a little difficult to setup. Also, the NVR is very noisy.

I have a POE switch, so no need for the POE on the Dahua. Is there a good alternative to an NVR that I can use?

Cheers

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you connecting to the NVR via an IP address and the built in web server? Or are you using the machine interface at the NVR itself?

The web interface is much better IMHO

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you connecting to the NVR via an IP address and the built in web server? Or are you using the machine interface at the NVR itself?

The web interface is much better IMHO
Of you could use SmartPSS (download via dahua website), it has such a nicer interface, can connect to individual IPC and NVR, has playback capabilities (with color bars (eg. modect/IVS distinction) like in Webservice & console), has all configuration capabilities on-board, and can serve as a software NVR.

buckfast

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm using the nor directly, that might explain why I am not all that satisfied..
still, the NVR sits in my hallway and is as noisy as hell.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Look up fan replacement options. Some folks run a replacement fan at half speed. There are some hack solutions out there, since fan noise is objectionable to some, and they came up with alternatives.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
If its in an air conditioned room, you can disconnect the chassis fans from the Motherboard. I would keep an eye on it for a bit to make sure that it doesn't get to hot. If its somewhere out of sight, you can leave the cover off too. The main interface is mostly for the initial set up. Smart PSS 2.0 will make you happy

buckfast

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If its in an air conditioned room, you can disconnect the chassis fans from the Motherboard. I would keep an eye on it for a bit to make sure that it doesn't get to hot. If its somewhere out of sight, you can leave the cover off too. The main interface is mostly for the initial set up. Smart PSS 2.0 will make you happy
Great. Sorry for the dumb question, but does Smart Pss 2.0 get setup and installed on the NVR itself?

buckfast

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Smart PSS is a stand alone software that runs on a PC. There is a PC NVR component, but not many people use it.
So again I am very sorry for my lack of knowledge. I have the NVR and two cameras at the moment. I have the NVR connected to a router.

I have setup Open VPN on my router as I want to view the cameras from my android phone when I'm away from my house / LAN.

I used the Open VPN app on my phone to connect to my LAN and used gDMSS app to view the camera successfully. However when I viewed the camera live feed in the setup, there was a significant lag.

I have since ordered a more powerful router to see if that will fix the lag. I am currently not using the NVR for recording as I have no hdd yet.

Does what I am doing appear sensible or is there a more optimal way to set things up?

Thanks

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
So again I am very sorry for my lack of knowledge. I have the NVR and two cameras at the moment. I have the NVR connected to a router.

I have setup Open VPN on my router as I want to view the cameras from my android phone when I'm away from my house / LAN.

I used the Open VPN app on my phone to connect to my LAN and used gDMSS app to view the camera successfully. However when I viewed the camera live feed in the setup, there was a significant lag.

I have since ordered a more powerful router to see if that will fix the lag. I am currently not using the NVR for recording as I have no hdd yet.

Does what I am doing appear sensible or is there a more optimal way to set things up?

Thanks
"Lagging" is a symptom that can have multiple causes: it can be that your upload speed of your home internet is not enough, it can be that your download speed of your mobile (3g/4g) is not enough, it can be that the channel you connected to is FullHD (instead of a lowres stream).

Using the NVR will only "shift" the issue, although an NVR has ample options (like your IP camera) to create low-bandwidth streams.

But the main question is: what are you trying to achieve? If you want to have an alert/snapshot (in high res) when someone enters your front door, for that, you can simply use an email (maybe related to IVS) with snapshot attachment, or you can use iDMSS/gDMSS and its linked push notifications. Do you not want to use your gsm to stick 24/7 on your cams? IF you want to view some footage, you'd probably playback from the recorded (and tagged: eg motiondetected) streams on the NVR.

Hope this helps?

buckfast

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"Lagging" is a symptom that can have multiple causes: it can be that your upload speed of your home internet is not enough, it can be that your download speed of your mobile (3g/4g) is not enough, it can be that the channel you connected to is FullHD (instead of a lowres stream).

Using the NVR will only "shift" the issue, although an NVR has ample options (like your IP camera) to create low-bandwidth streams.

But the main question is: what are you trying to achieve? If you want to have an alert/snapshot (in high res) when someone enters your front door, for that, you can simply use an email (maybe related to IVS) with snapshot attachment, or you can use iDMSS/gDMSS and its linked push notifications. Do you not want to use your gsm to stick 24/7 on your cams? IF you want to view some footage, you'd probably playback from the recorded (and tagged: eg motiondetected) streams on the NVR.

Hope this helps?
Thanks that does help. Food for thought.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Its usually not the router. Try streaming your cameras in sub-stream. If you are using Smart PSS, you can right click on the cameras in the menu or the viewing part and select the stream type. If this solves the issue, you may want to turn down the resolution a bit along with the fps and bit rate. This will allow you to stream the main stream a little easier. If you are having issues streaming just two cameras, the problem is more than likely your upload speed of your LAN that the NVR is on.