Alternative to the IPC-HDW5231R-Z...

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I am planning on about 3-4 of the IPC-HDW5231R-Z, a IPC-HDBW4231F-AS for inside the home, but my friend wants a higher megapixel varifocal for the backyard, to not act as primarily purposed security camera, but to watch over as much "backyard" space as possible while kids are out there. Daylight will be primary use. Looking to stay in the $150-170 range, any thoughts on another Dahua ? Planning to get all from Andy

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
"Varifocal" and "watch over as much backyard space as possible" don't exactly go together, if you want to see everything, then you prob don't need to zoom.

Just toss up a 2.8mm since all this will be is an overwatch camera

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"Varifocal" and "watch over as much backyard space as possible" don't exactly go together, if you want to see everything, then you prob don't need to zoom.

Just toss up a 2.8mm since all this will be is an overwatch camera
True makes sense. Reason I was saying varifocal is just if I need say 3-4mm once it mounted high up in eve/sofit. Takes guess work out of everything. But you're right 2.8 Hell see everything and if he wants good images higher MP since that's his main focus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is an example 2.8mm @ 2mp (sub stream)
The only point of this camera is to watch the entire yard and see what the kids are doing when outside. I have 4mm and 6mm cameras in the corner to cover doors, gates, etc.

Attachments

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is an example 2.8mm @ 2mp (sub stream)
The only point of this camera is to watch the entire yard and see what the kids are doing when outside. I have 4mm and 6mm cameras in the corner to cover doors, gates, etc.
What camera do you have ? The 2.8?

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's an LTS Turret (HIK)
Nice. That's what I have in and outside my house. Setting up friends and after reading a lot thinking of making switch to Dahau for his.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
varifocal lets you tweek the zoom to not loose pixels (better than more pixels and loosing them at the sides). If it were me i would use a 6mm in @zero-degrees example. This would be 2x as good as a 4MP 2.8 as a 2mp. If you are going to turn it off at dusk and on a dawn, you will be fine with a 0.1 Lux camera for most days, but i would still use the vaifocal here as times and conditions change.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
varifocal lets you tweek the zoom to not loose pixels (better than more pixels and loosing them at the sides). If it were me i would use a 6mm in @zero-degrees example. This would be 2x as good as a 4MP 2.8 as a 2mp. If you are going to turn it off at dusk and on a dawn, you will be fine with a 0.1 Lux camera for most days, but i would still use the vaifocal here as times and conditions change.
I think you missed the main point of this camera "watch over as much "backyard" space as possible"

Why would you cut your FOV in Half when the entire goal is to see as much as possible.... That is the point of this project.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
its a trade off. Close corners for pixel density at the far fence. I tend to care more about the far fence. two cameras on oposite corners would be far better allowing each to cover the others near field corners.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If it was me, I would just pick up a 4MP with 2.8mm fixed lens for $80 or something, and call it good. Those are close to 90 degree field of view, which is about as big as you can get without going pure 180 degree fisheye.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
its a trade off. Close corners for pixel density at the far fence. I tend to care more about the far fence. two cameras on oposite corners would be far better allowing each to cover the others near field corners.
You still don't get it... this is the issue with forums sometimes. The OP stated a specific need, you responded with advice totally irrelevant to the requested need...

As a side note if you had read my other notes you would notice I also do have 4mm and 6mm, the ONLY thing that 2.8 is used for is to see as much as possible.

Not trying to be an ass, but I see this all to often. The frustrating part is if the OP isn't wise enough to shift through the inaccurate recommendations and ends up listening to advice that provides unintended outcomes (obviously not the case here). This is also when ever possible you'll notice I post first hand pictures so individuals have reference points to assist in their decisions. All to often we see blind leading. The blind and by the time they wake up they are already falling down the rabbit hole

Last edited:

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You still don't get it... this is the issue with forums sometimes. The OP stated a specific need, you responded with advice totally irrelevant to the requested need...

As a side note if you had read my other notes you would notice I also do have 4mm and 6mm, the ONLY thing that 2.8 is used for is to see as much as possible.

Not trying to be an ass, but I see this all to often. The frustrating part is if the OP isn't wise enough to shift through the inaccurate recommendations and ends up listening to advice that provides unintended outcomes (obviously not the case here). This is also when ever possible you'll notice I post first hand pictures so individuals have reference points to assist in their decisions. All to often we see blind leading. The blind and by the time they wake up they are already falling down the rabbit hole
This is similar to when people tell me they want a new computer and ask for recommendations. My response is always "What are you going to use it for?" If they're just going to surf the net and do facebook, they don't need an expensive or powerful pc. If they want do edit videos, different requirements. Etc, yada yada.

Pick whatever is needed to do the specific job and you can't lose.

nutshellml

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
But this OP ;) I read and was thinking what you replied.

Thanks all for info. Do appreciate it.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've got two 2.8mm 4MP Hikvisions with 106 degree vision and a IPC-HDW5231R-Z (which go out to 97 degrees.) The 2.8mm 4MP is really good for monitoring large areas from sunrise to sunset (giving way better detail than the 5231R-Z at the same FOV.) I think a lot of that comes down to fixed lens optics being better than a varifocal lens in that price bracket. If you wanted to use them at night (with the built in IR) I've found the IPC-HDW5231R-Z will only illuminate in the central area of the vision (ie. the IR is optimised for when the lens is zoomed in.) The fixed 2.8mm IR gives better overall illumination across the FOV.

Seeing daylight is the priority you could even go higher than 4MP- I've noticed the larger MP sensors have similar sensitivity to light (at least for the Hikvisions.)