Always amazed at what can fix a "bricked" computer

ncpilot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My BI computer went completely off line in middle of night. Power off reboot didn't work (I have a remote controlled outlet for the PC).

This morning I power cycled again watching monitor, and it booted into a system setup/diagnostic screen asking to set time. I ran the diagnostics and it was fine.

Swapped out the CMOS battery and it booted right up!

Last month or so it had been flaky, going offline a lot with the blue screen "unrecoverable WHEA error". Quite a while ago I swapped w/new memory, with no effect.

Really? A friggen' battery? LOL

We'll see if it goes stable now...

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In the humid south I've found I have a few brands and designs of desktop and laptop PC's that periodically need to have their RAM pulled, the card edge gold fingers cleaned with a new, soft Pink Pearl eraser, blown off good and re-seated......may not help....but it sure won't hurt either. Just beware of static in the cool, dry winter time though.

Sometimes the same is true with video cards, etc.

Pink-Pearl_eraser.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ncpilot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm leaning more towards power supply, but I'll try all options.

I do need to check all the connections.

If not easily fixed, probably more useful to put $ for new power supply into getting Win11 ready PC...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In the humid south I've found I have a few brands and designs of desktop and laptop PC's that periodically need to have their RAM pulled, the card edge gold fingers cleaned with a new, soft Pink Pearl eraser, blown off good and re-seated......may not help....but it sure won't hurt either. Just beware of static in the cool, dry winter time though.

Sometimes the same is true with video cards, etc.

View attachment 186325
I would think a shot of Deoxit on the contacts would possibly prevent this from happening.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.