Am I doing this right? (Continuous Recording)

diver165

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, I decided to go continuous after getting frustrated with recordings being stopped or missing this with motion detection. I've got a decent size Blue Iris system with 21 Cams all 4mp and above except for 2 of them. All are set to continuous sub + trigger. I do use sub streams and capture audio. I'm recording in 2hr blocks just because files get huge.

My system has 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400 2.50 GHz, with 32.0 GB RAM, 512gig SSD system drive and a WD Purple 12TB HD running windows 11 Home. This PC does nothing but Blue Iris. I was running Code Project AI but kept having issues with it and since I'm recording continuously I didn't see the point.

I've been recording this way for a week. My storage HD (12TB) is not even close to being 1/4 full. I thought I did the math right and figured it would fill up in about 10-14 days. Am I missing something or should I have something set differently? My CPU usage under BI is like 2-12% with a baseline system usage of about 20%. Maybe I was thinking recording continuously would be more system intensive than this. And I start to 2nd guess myself and maybe I don't have it setup quite right.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That seems right. Substreams take up a lot less storage, which makes them perfect for 24/7 recording. And yes the act of simply saving 24/7 isn't as much of a CPU load as you think it would be.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
It also depends on how many triggers you get. Most of mine are set to Cont Sub + Trigger during the day, but my rear cameras were basically set to continuous when I had workers building my deck due to the constant motion. After they were done, it's back to "normal."

One thing to experiment with, if you have the storage space, is to set some to Cont Sub + Trigger during the day but change profiles to Cont at night. I did this with some of my more critical FOVs so that I wouldn't miss anything in the dark.