Am I missing anything?

countrycamera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good morning all,

I am going to be purchasing everything I need to get my security system setup this weekend. Here is a list of everything I have to finish researching before purchasing. Anything I am missing before I begin all my research? Any help would be appreciated.

System goal:
- Outdoor home surveillance.
- Viewing access: TV's in home x 2, Mobile smartphone viewing.

Thanks!

1575135727637.png

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I purchased a used Hp Elitedesk i7-4790 with 16 GB memory and windows 10 for $150. I added an 120GB SSD (~$30) for the the OS and BI. I purchased a 4TB WD purple drive (~$102). I did a clean install of windows 10 as per this forum.

4GB of memory is not enough for windows 10 and BI, you really need a minimum of 8gb.

cable needs to be pure copper AWG 23 or 24, not CCA (copper clad aluminum) ,

countrycamera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Computer question:

Do I need an HDMI port on the PC I buy if I want to display video from my security cameras on a tv in my home? What I am envisioning is to go to select my input HDMI on my TV and I would be able to view my cameras live on that TV.

Example:
- Connect a 4 port HDMI splitter to my PC.
- Run HDMI cable from splitter to PC and TV's.
- Port 1 HDMI for monitor connected to PC.
- Port 2 HDMI for TV1.
- Port 3 HDMI for TV2.
- Port 4 HDMI for TV3.

Is this the best option for what I am trying to achieve? Just checking if I need an HDMI port on the PC I buy or not or if there is a better option to do this potentially cheaper?

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You could just create a shortcut on your desktop to the UI3 interface, which allows you to access Blue Iris using a web browser.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I’d also spec the PC with more than 8Gb of RAM. I remember reading another thread here where a user had random probs with CPU usage and that was resolved by increasing the RAM from 8Gb.

Rather than run HDMI cabling another option might to use something like a fire stick so that you can run UI3 on it?

My TV is smart and I’ve programmed a shortcut key on my remote so long press launches the browser with UI3, must be able to do something similar with a fire stick?

countrycamera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ended up finding an hp elitedesk 800 g1 i5-4590 with 2TB hdd, 8gb ram, win 10 pro for $115, IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras, BI and all the rest of the equipment should be coming next week. Thanks for all the help! Looking forward to getting this all installed!